Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I have a '95 Disco, but I'm working on modding a set of '03 Disco headlights to fit it. Could someone take some pics of their headlights from under the hood? I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to be a jerk, I already did a search and didn't find the specific info I need, which is why I'm posting here. I don't have access to an '03 Disco, so I was hoping someone could post a picture or two of the area behind the light, and possibly measure the length of the fender cutout. The how-to is nice, I found it earlier, but it doesn't cover some of the necessary mods for a D1, like fender cuts. It'd be nice to know what sort of fender work I need to do before dropping ~$400 on a new set of headlights.

·
2,986 Posts
not trying to be a jerk, but i thought the info that you needed would be contained in either of those places. I noticed that you posted basically the same question twice, so I figured that you were one of the types who just posted w/o searching. My apologizes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh, I'm pretty tired, and was getting kinda punchy, so I guess I came off kinda newb-ish. I was flipping through some photos, and thought "Ya know, those headlights would look nice on my truck..." I also want to add a pre-1994 grille, according to my mental picture it should be a nice package :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't think you are going to have much luck finding a DI with the conversion completed. Most conversions are done on the DII since it requires less work...

I've emailed before with members that have DI's that wanted to do the same thing. As in any major mod like this, you may not find much support or easy to follow instructions. You may just have to jump into it and be the first :D I know the thought of cutting up your Disco is rough, but it would be great to see it on a DI. There is no bolt on kit and the cost does add up. $400 for a pair of lamps is a good deal (about 1/2 of what some are selling them for on Ebay). But, you will need more than just the headlamps.Take into account wiring, connectors and the finishing trim around the bottom of the light.

Look into this thread:
http://landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176&page=1&pp=25

you may also want to look into Ebay turorials like item #4582242651
(this is NOT my auction, nor do I know this seller. I have NOT purchased this item so I cannot comment on it's content. I only posted this as a possible source of information)
It's a start... Good luck :drink1:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[nods] I figured I wouldn't find one with this sort of headlight conversion, and I don't mind being the first, it'd be pretty cool. From what I've seen, I think I can make it work.

However, without having an '03 handy to measure, I can't readily get the one piece of data I need before I give it a shot: The depth of the fender cutout on the '03. I have no problem cutting the slant out of the fender to fit, but if the cut in my fenders is too deep, I may not be able to patch it correctly (I'm not equipped to add to the body panels, but I can subtract from them). I already have the parts necessary to re-wire the headlights for a 4-bulb system, and I can trim the existing headlight surrounds to fit the new housing.

Thanks for the support, I'll definitely keep the board posted with any results of the project. Fab work is fun :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
You could use a front turn signal from a 1999 to 2002 Discovery II. They are the same size as that part of the '03-'04 headlamp that wraps around the fender. It's a bit cheaper to buy one of those rather than the whole '03-'04 lamp assembly. It may be worth a shot to email the fellas at www.simmonites.com. They advertise the conversion kit (for a DII of course) but they may be able to refer you to some who did it on a DI??

I think you should do it, it would be pretty cool to see on a DI. You should aslo check to make sure your grill and bumpers will work with the new lamps...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DII corner lights will fit on a DI with minimal modifications, so if the 03's headlights are the same size, it ought to fit well. Everything else should fit just fine, I'm installing a grille from a '92 DI, it has a much more ballsy look than the newer Disco grilles. The bumper won't be an issue, though I will end up with some extra marker lights. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.