Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm new on the forum, this place is Awsome :wave:

before i get into ranting on all of the repairs i've done on my Disco II 1999, my latest situation is that...

When i turn on my heat in the morning it doesnt get hot untill im driving, and then when i am idiling it goes cold.

what might that be, and what kind of costs am i looking at? :bawling:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
first thing check the level,
if it is really low then you got a problem with a leak.

if it is low then run the vehicle and make sure it heats up quickly.

then next morning start it up and check to see if it heats up again.

If it doesnt then you need a thermostat.

They look like a big plastic heart. with three openings.

its around a hundred twenty bucks for original. And no you cant take the thermostat out of the housing.

They aint easy but they aint hard either.

get yourself a pair of spring clamp pliers and a cotter pin remover tool. Basically its a long thick hook you can use to help pull off the hose.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Heating Problem

Wolf,
That is an easy one.
I would bet you are low on coolant, when this happens, your engine will pump coolant to the heater core at higher RPM's but not at an idle. How long has it been since you changed or added coolant? Make sure you use the right one. By the way, how many miles on your truck?
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Heater problems

Wolf, If your coolant is low, you may have also trapped some air in the cylinder heads. If that is the case, turn your heater to full hot, top of your coolant recovery bottle, leave the top off and start the engine. If cold, let it warm up then run the idle up to 2000 rpm's and hold it there for a couple of minutes. If there is any air in the system this will pull it out and then your heater should run hot at an idle.
Good luck,
Mike J.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.