Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw in Atlantic British an adapter for heated seats. It looks pretty easy to install. It mentions that all LR Discos are pre-wired for heated seats. Does anyone know if this also apply to a 2001 Discovery SD?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
no - incorrect. Most DII's with LEATHER seats have the elements installed. NONE of the duragrain seats are equipped with heater elements unless they carry the heated seat option.
I just installed the elements in mine- it's not fun but not overly difficult.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
no - incorrect. Most DII's with LEATHER seats have the elements installed. NONE of the duragrain seats are equipped with heater elements unless they carry the heated seat option.
I just installed the elements in mine- it's not fun but not overly difficult.
Just as Muddy Oval said...Incorrect.Dll's with duragrain and with cloth seats don't come with the seat elements unless fitted with the cold weather package from the dealer/factory.The heated seat elements are different between the manual cloth seats and the electric leather/duragrain ones.You can order the elements through them too.I did some research on this particular item as that's next on my "to-do" list for my cloth seats.If anyone is interested I have the parts number for both the manual seats and electric seats.

Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
20 Posts
theres a guy selling the switches for the heated seats on ebay for like $80...

I believe mine would be pre-wired and just need the switches but...im afraid to start tearing into the center console...just yet...

it wood be a nice upgrade, tho...

anyone tear into that center console...is it pretty strait forward?

:)

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
it's so eazy . You practycly don't need any tools . At least in my truck .

All you need is a long fingernail to pry out that pannel and you will see the plugs , you plug them into the switch and push the switch into the back housing and cover it with the new panel .

Oh yeah I know $80 . couple mounths ago there was 4 of those kits for $50 . and I didn't buy it then .DAMN it . :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discovery S

I have a 2003 Discovery S. I looked in the console and there was a place for the switches, so I bought them and hooked them up. Unfortunatly, they don't heat my seats. What's the next step I can take to get my seats warm? I don't think my seats are real leather, I think they are an imitation leather. Do these not have the coils?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
As stated before- the S model doesn't have seat heater elements.

Installing the elements is a huge pain in the butt- I did it on mine and hope to never have to do it again. The elements were about $120 per seat (2 elements per seat).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If it's an S or SD model, it's not leather. The SE and HSE had leather.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
Steve,
Just put DITTO's on your replys, they will pick up on it soon.
Mike

·
Registered
653 Posts
Where are the heated seat buttons located? Are they in the center console where the window buttons are? I've got an SE model and this sounds like a good weekend project.

·
Registered
299 Posts
yup, the switches are on the same plate as the window switches...above i beleive...would have to double check. I'm with Muddy Oval on this one as i have done many heated seats on VW's......they are a royal pain to install!!! But they sure are nice on a cold morning when it's -20 and your butt's nice and warm!!!!

And your significant other will love it too!!!! later, Dean

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have instructions and pictures of how to install the elements etc that I plan to get posted sometime soon. It was NOT fun, but the bunwarmers are excellent when wheelin in cold weather. If you have an SE, all you need are the switches and a new switch cover panel

·
Registered
653 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
I have instructions and pictures of how to install the elements etc that I plan to get posted sometime soon. It was NOT fun, but the bunwarmers are excellent when wheelin in cold weather. If you have an SE, all you need are the switches and a new switch cover panel
Thats what I like to hear :)

·
Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
I put heated seats in my SE3 freelander. Like steve said, it's not hard, but a bit of a PITA. The FL is pre-wired for heated seats and that's it. I had to install the heater element, switches, and modules. I don't think the Discos require the modules. The switches are pretty straightforward, plug and play. The modules also plug in and snap into the seat frame. The elements are tricky, but just remove the seat from the truck, and take your time. It's not that difficult once you figure out how they're assembled.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Muddy Oval said:

i dont really know what i have since its a '99. its like a mix between an sd and se. because i dont have woodgrain, the harmon/kardon system, or heated/power seats, but i do have sunroofs and ace. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
guitar588 said:
i dont really know what i have since its a '99. its like a mix between an sd and se. because i dont have woodgrain, the harmon/kardon system, or heated/power seats, but i do have sunroofs and ace. any ideas?
A 99 will have seat heaters if you have leather, mine did.
You mentioned ACE, how do you like it, and even more importantly, have you ever serviced it, makes a hugh difference in how they run.
Mike

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Most people can't tell the difference between the fake leather and real leather seats. :)

Another way to tell if it has the heater elements is to see if the plugs under the seats are connected to anything.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Disco Mike said:
A 99 will have seat heaters if you have leather, mine did.
You mentioned ACE, how do you like it, and even more importantly, have you ever serviced it, makes a hugh difference in how they run.
Mike
i havent serviced the ace yet, i dont really know how to, it works fine but sometimes ill make a tight turn at the bottom of a hill for example and itll moan, i dont know if thats normal. truck has 59k. any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.