Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'99 Disco II
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about bypassing the heater core...

My disco blows hot air despite my climate control being on lowest temp (econ mode).

I was told that a nice idea might be to bypass the heater core by simply adding some valving to create a loop without the heater hore involved.

My question is this....

can I simply valve off one leg of the heater core? The coolant won't flow through it. Are there any sensors in this loop that would make this a bad idea? Is it necessary for some reason to keep the flow continuous through this loop?

thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think you need the coolant to flow. Why not just buy a plastic coupler and two hose clamps and join the hoses together, that way you get flow while by passing the heater core. I did this when my heater core sprung a leak. It's a very simple yet effective process.

Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic. ;)

·
'99 Disco II
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a bad idea, just thinking it would easy to have valves that you could quickly throw when you want heat or no heat. harder to rig though!

W

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
I went out and looked at mine thing morning and think the easiest way is to unhook bothe hoses where they attack to the metal pipes near the engine, the go to a auto parts store and buy a "C" shaped hose of the proper size and joint the 2 metal pipes together.
Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts
Disco Mike said:
I went out and looked at mine thing morning and think the easiest way is to unhook bothe hoses where they attack to the metal pipes near the engine, the go to a auto parts store and buy a "C" shaped hose of the proper size and joint the 2 metal pipes together.
Mike
Thanks Mike. That's what I was trying to tell him. You want to unhook the hoses from the firewall connections.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
No, I was suggesting he unhook the hoses at the connection pipes to the engine and no damage the heater core pipes.
Mike

·
'99 Disco II
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. That's what I actually did for now so I don't boil in my car!!!

I will eventually make something with valves becasue I want my wife to be able to switch it if she feels the need!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts