Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been off the forum awhile(which means the d2 is running well). Let me start by saying the truck is a 2000, and has 144,000 on the clock. Ive done numerous repairs in the last year(to many to list). And yes before anyone asks it has had the maint. for high milers over 90,000. Recently I took a trip to NJ and on the way there i noticed a waterfall sound behind the dash when I accelerated from a stop. I bled any air out of the cooling system that i could get out. The heat still gets very hot,and the core isnt leaking on the passenger side. Anybody thats had this problem and FOUND a solution please post, Thanks in advance, Jack.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
The only thing I have ever had on my 2000 Is low coolant level causing that sound. I di have to change the heater core on mine.
Check for wet carpet. Mine was leaking down behind the carpet and pooling in the insulation on the passenger side and on top of the trans. Hump under the heater box. There was a lot more coolant than I had seen before disassembling it.
If you are sure there are no leaks anywhere, try adding a little more coolant than you think is the full mark the worse that can happen is it will overflow some out

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response redtruck12. Im sure its not leaking, the carpet isnt wet and I cant smell coolant even when its running. The only time I hear it is when i accelerate from a stop. I was hoping there was a pocket of air but as soon as I open the bleeder coolant is coming out, besides if it was that much air the system would probably air lock and overheat. Can anyone tell me about how much im looking at for a heater core and howmuch of a P.I.T.A it is to swapp out?

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It hasnt in a couple months since i did all the work, but my wife had it this morning to run an errand and said the gauge went up above normal then came back down(i know i need an ultra gauge to determine the exact temp)and the air was cool when it should of been hot.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone tell me how bad of a job it is to change the heater core? Do I need to remove the dash etc? Ive never changed one on any vehicle and if theres problem areas with this job Id like to know before hand from someone thats already done it. Thanks.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
there are numerous threads on replacing heater core so here is my short version. i replaced the core on my 2000 d2 in august.
there are stories of people short cutting it but book time on this job is 20 ish hours.
yes you need to remove the dash, and centre console (shifter console) also steering wheel and bezels on the steering column but not the column itself.
it is a big job!
I have done many over the years (I am a mechanic by trade) and would say it is one of the most involved I have ever done.
check out the rave manual it will definitely help.
it took me a good part of a weekend to do mine (at home)

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I referred to the rave and realized it is a big job, but as my user name suggest i do love this truck so if it needs done then im gonna do it. I was talking to someone that knows a good deal about vehicles(not LRs specifically)and he said it sounds like either the water pump or the water pump fins arent moving enough coolant. That would be why im hearing the whooshing sound behind the dash. I wanted to get some opinions for the guys on here and compare. By the way I replaced the water pump in Feb. with a brand new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.