Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 03 Disco SE 110K. For no reason and without the climate control even powered on the heater is blowing hot air out of the floor and front windshield vents. Only way to stop this is to turn the climate control on and put the AC on. Anyone seen this before?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sounds like the control unit is acting up or starting to fail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, Thanks for the feedback. The control unit that fits in the dash with the LCD? Just want to make sure I have this correct.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello, I have a 03 Disco SE 110K. For no reason and without the climate control even powered on the heater is blowing hot air out of the floor and front windshield vents. Only way to stop this is to turn the climate control on and put the AC on. Anyone seen this before?
My 2001 Discovery II has the same issue. I took the vehicle to the nearest Land Rover Dealer (who kept it for 3 days). I was told that all Discovery II's do this because of a poorly engineered component. It depends on what setting you leave your climate control on when it is turned off. For example, if it was left on a/c when turned off, it will not blow warm air. If it was on heat when turned off, it will blow warm air.

Land Rover of Wilmington, DE is the dealership I used.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes, that was an issue but when it was happening hot air would only come out from the floor vent not the defroster vents.

First Disco, it would be good to make sure all the vents are working properly before you jump into a new control unit.
If you do replace consider buy a good used one from Paul Grant.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, the defroster is blowing hot air as well. I will pay attention to its last setting and see if that comes into play. Those control panels are under $20 shipped off eBay. I may throw some parts at this if it continues. Thanks

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
If the last HVAC setting that you used was heat and you had switched recirculation mode "OFF", then even after you shut the HVAC down, the blend door will remain in this heat setting while the recirculation mode being off would allow fresh external air to pass over the heater and you would get warm air entering the cabin. Through those vents. You should only be able to feel it blowing when you're driving because in idle very little air moves over the heater if the blower is turned on.

Try pushing the recirculation button before you turn off your HVAC system and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I would close this out. I did try what you stated about Bosnian Disco and it seems to have worked but there are still times I am feeling the heat. Winter will soon be here on the east coast. New climate control unit on eBay is a dime a dozen. I will probably go with a swap next summer. Thanks for all of the input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts