Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how's it going fella's? Last night i tried to install a pair of hella 500's on my brush guard, the instructions were horrible. finding a good ground up front was difficult and the switch box thing they gave wasn't working properly(or i wired it wrong?). i wanted to see if they worked so i just by-passed the switch box(the one you mount that has 4 connecting ports) and i just wired the ground/live 12v/and the black wire from the lights to the flip-switch, it worked. However, i had to take it off b/c it was running off the 4' 12v wire directly connected to the battery and i didn't want the ground and live wire connected under the hood . There was no visible port in the firewall to pass the wires through even if the switchbox had worked. Has anyone else had any problems of this kind or advice? pictures would be very helpful also. I dont have a good camera or I would post pictures of my situation.

- AppStateDisco

·
Registered
363 Posts
Aloha!!

I put the same Hella 500's on my truck. I wired my directly to my fog lights. That way I do not need to have the switch and no hassle of running the wire through the fire wall to the cabin. I attached the ground wire just under the plasitc grill "on the 04 Disco there is a small hole that I used" I then ran the wires from the lights along the frame just under the plastic grill and passed them through a small gap near the battery box. I then spliced the wire into the power supply of the fog lights. You will have to take out the head lamp and splice in to the wire. You can figure out wire it is by following the wires from the fog lights. As for what wire to splice in to? I did it the old fashion way and guessed. You will have a 50 50 chance of getting it right. I then attached the rest of the wires to the black square part. As for the instructions. You are right. They are bad, but if you mark it with color pens. It will help you understand how the wires get hooked up.I then placed it all in the little space where my jack is. On my truck the jack is in the engine compartment. And if you want a good looking job. You can get some of that plastic covering over your wires. That will be the real fun part if you do all the wires back up in to the jack compartment. You should be able to get the plastic covering at the auto parts store. My whole set up took 4 hours. But then again after I go them on I then re-did the whole thing to make it look good. As for my set up. My lights now come on when I turn on my fog lights. I hope this will help you out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not sure if i have fog lights, it's a 95 disco, i'll go check real quick. if not, i guess i'll just wire them upto the hi-beams the same way you did, bypassing the switch nightmare. Thanks for the great info. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- AppStateDisco

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i don't have fog lights in the front, however i do have rear fog lights that only go on when the button is pushed as long as the head lights are on. So if it has a fuse i can just connect it to the switchbox and get rid of the excess wire cluddering my engine bay right now. i had to run the grounds for the lights through my front grill, just barely missing my radiator, i'm scared they're going to melt or something. anyways, thanks again.

-AppStateDisco

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.