Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 Hella 4000's on the front bumper. The two outter-most are pencil and the center is a fog. A couple days ago the two pencils stopped working. The fog still works fine so I know it is not the switch. Both bulbs look fine and I have tried new fuses in the relays. The only thing left that I can think of the relay itself went bad. Before I run to the store and get a new relay, I wanted to know if I am missing something that could be the problem.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Check grounds...... My buddy had the same thing on a different light.... he did a lot in water and the ground got rusty... we sracteh a new surface and they worked..

· Registered
30 Posts
Kinda same problem with three hellas on roof rack

I have wired two of the three hellas together on one relay as is customary. However, they do not light. I have checked the power leaving relay and it is okay. However when I check the power going from the relay to the lights there seems to be no power coming through. Here is what I have done. Lights are set up to come on with high beams. I have two splices on one high beam wire (is this okay?). I have switched the relays out with same result, nada. Does the length of wire going from relay to lights play a role in not working. Is there such a think as too long of wire? All the wire is 14g. The only thing I have not tried is to switch out one of the hellas and place it in a working light. Finally, I plan on wiring the third hella by itself through a different relay. Could have too may lights grounded to one ground location? I am very frustrated and could use guidance over here.

Thanks in advance peeps!
:D

· Registered
843 Posts
Funrover said:
Check grounds...... My buddy had the same thing on a different light.... he did a lot in water and the ground got rusty... we sracteh a new surface and they worked..
As Funrover says, check your earths and also your switch! are you getting 12volts through both sides of the relay? What wattage are your bulbs? have you got suitably rated wire to cope with the amps they need?

· Registered
843 Posts
A wiring diagram for you!

Just ignore one of the lights!

· Registered
843 Posts
gj07435 said:
I have wired two of the three hellas together on one relay as is customary. However, they do not light. I have checked the power leaving relay and it is okay. However when I check the power going from the relay to the lights there seems to be no power coming through.
Am assuming you mean either side of the relay here?! So yuo have power to the relay on the switch side right? and not on the spotlight side? If so then check fuse, earth, bulbs (take out and inspect) and finally replace relay with one that is known to work. Bet it is the Earth, usual culprit!

Out of interest where have you taken the power to the lights from? Hoping straight from battery!!!

gj07435 said:
Here is what I have done. Lights are set up to come on with high beams. I have two splices on one high beam wire (is this okay?). I have switched the relays out with same result, nada.
Make sure you have the RIGHT wire for the main/high/full beams. Why do you have 2 splices in the one wire? Splicing is fine as long as it is done properly and securely, try not to use scotch blocks or chocolate blocks, nothing is better than soldering and emalgamating tape! Pet hate is shoddy wiring!

gj07435 said:
Does the length of wire going from relay to lights play a role in not working. Is there such a think as too long of wire? All the wire is 14g.
Length of wire does have an effect however you'll never have that problem along the length of a LR.

No idea what 14g stands for, is it in reference to 14amp wire?

gj07435 said:
The only thing I have not tried is to switch out one of the hellas and place it in a working light. Finally, I plan on wiring the third hella by itself through a different relay.
don't remove the lights, test the bulbs. You can either wire in the 3rd on its own or on the same relay, it should be able to cope! I'd try it on the same relay to start with and see how it copes.

gj07435 said:
Could have too may lights grounded to one ground location? I am very frustrated and could use guidance over here.

Thanks in advance peeps!
:D
No you don't, the only thing that limits an earthing point is if it is badly setup and isn't fully grounded! I have many many things all grounded to one location with no worries!

I understand your frustration, wiring can be very annoying!

Just keep it simple and keep the connections clean and secure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.