Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud new owner of an '04 Discovery II. The truck has 105k miles on it and I just requested an estimate for the high mileage maintenance at a local shop. I know I could probably teach myself but with a new puppy and job I'm short on time.

My question is after I make sure she's in tip top shape, where do you all recommend I start?

I'm looking to do a OME 2in lift kit, wheels and tires, front bumber, rock bars, roof rack, tom woods driveshaft, dog mesh, any other things you guys recommend? What order? Things that should be done at the same time?

Any recomendations on front bumper, possibly one that incorporates the stock fog lights?

Also any locations for buying a replacement driver's side armrest and the passenger side electric seating tilt switch?

Please excuse my ignorance, this will be my first 4x4 build. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like including the major service maintenance and your wish list you are prepared to cough out about 5g or more....
You may want to try walking before you try to run little bear.
If you are too busy to try and work some stuff out yourself you are going to help some mechanic with his kids college fund..
These are great vehicle for a " car guy ". They are high maintenance vehicles and will bite you on the ass if you neglect it.
Recycling the fog lights may be the least of your concerns.
Most guys on this site are very helpful and knowledgable but a reality check and ensuring you have a maintained and sound truck is the best place to start. I'm not trying to burst your bubble but.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like including the major service maintenance and your wish list you are prepared to cough out about 5g or more....
You may want to try walking before you try to run little bear.
If you are too busy to try and work some stuff out yourself you are going to help some mechanic with his kids college fund..
These are great vehicle for a " car guy ". They are high maintenance vehicles and will bite you on the ass if you neglect it.
Recycling the fog lights may be the least of your concerns.
Most guys on this site are very helpful and knowledgable but a reality check and ensuring you have a maintained and sound truck is the best place to start. I'm not trying to burst your bubble but.....
That's why I said I'm making sure it is in tip top shape first? And then I was laying out a plan for the rest of the work.

And yes I figured I was looking at around 5k, I've done my research on prices.

Do you have any thoughts on my actual questions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the maintenance is scheduled for next week. Hopefully next time I can try to do it all myself. It's a little tough when you live in Seattle and don't have a garage.

Where should I start next? Should I do the lift before the front bumper so that the OME HD springs can support the extra weight or can the stock shocks handle it? I'm looking at the ARB Sahara or the Iron Bull with the Carnage Grille Guard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I'd just do it all at once
Kinda what I was thinking, just means I gotta save to do it all at one time.

Maybe I'll just do the roof rack and get the dog mesh in first and that will tide me over while saving.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If your going to be going off road right away, id do tires and lift at one time, I'd say bumper next, which I have no idea which incorporates fog lights into (sorry), Then whatever you seem fit after. Id also suggest some diff guards, 210$ for both, saves your diffs so your not stuck if one gets damaged! I plan to do everything your doing after my first semester in college is over, so close.... but hope all goes well.

diff guards: TF838,TF839 Terrafirma Front and Rear Bolt on Diff Guards D2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your going to be going off road right away, id do tires and lift at one time, I'd say bumper next, which I have no idea which incorporates fog lights into (sorry), Then whatever you seem fit after. Id also suggest some diff guards, 210$ for both, saves your diffs so your not stuck if one gets damaged! I plan to do everything your doing after my first semester in college is over, so close.... but hope all goes well.

diff guards: TF838,TF839 Terrafirma Front and Rear Bolt on Diff Guards D2

Thanks Daniel!

I thought the Iron Bull used the stock headlights, but it must just be the placement. I got a quote from Cameron over there and he said they just use 4" fog lights, but the stock ones are plastic and will crack with a steel bumper.

Probably gonna go with them or the ARB Sahara. Haven't quite decided yet.

Wish I could get the steel brake lines put on now since the brakes are gonna get bled, but without the lift yet they'll be too long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered myself an Ultra-Gauge, can't wait to get that hooked up when it arrives!

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's pretty good guide, I actually just found it a week or so ago. There should be some type of sticky like this, maybe with a step by step guide as to what order you should upgrade based on needs or what items should be purchased together such as when doing a 3" lift. This article is pretty good on the weak links of the disco.
1994-2004 Land Rover Discovery Upgrades - Four Wheeler Magazine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.