Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:
I am new to the site, as well as landrovers. I am shopping for a Disco now, actually. I have owned many jeeps and want something a little bigger and a lot nicer :buttrock:

I thought i would say, Hey! I hope to get some valuable info here, i am an avid DIY'ER!

Any pointers in my quest for a nice Disco, i am looking for a 98-99 maybe a DII, doubtful though.

· Registered
720 Posts
Just my 2 cents here but.... get the simplest D1 you can. No sunroof, electric seats if possible. The alarm systems and electric windows are crap; get one with a dealer replaced dashboard if it is the curl up type. There are lots of low mileage examples around here that have been immaculately dealer maintained and are very cheap. Get the maintenance records if at all possible (best to buy from the original owner). Many people feel the automatics are better than the 5spds but this is a personal preference. Our 5 spd has the best clutch I have ever experienced in 43 years of standard transmission vehicles. The 5spds are wonderful in snow. Watch for rust under carpets front and back and expect to pay dearly if you must buy dealer parts (not wise or frugal). Is there a good LandRover wrecker near you?
At the risk of going out on a limb and sounding like a heretic, rely on a cheap used Corolla or Tercel or ? for daily use and keep the Disco for the fun weekend adventures. That being said, driving a Disco is always entertaining and delightful, no matter whether you are boulevard cruising or climbing a creek bed - the feel of the vehicle is truly like no other I know. But, the money you will save on 'underusing' the Disco will easily pay for the Toyota. Too much time spent on repairing a Disco, used as primary transport, can influence wedded bliss. Good luck!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
So what is it that you want out of this new truck, do you do much wheeling, is it a primary driver???
Mike J.
99 DII

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Its not my daily driver. I plan to use it to tow my boat, to do mild to moderate wheeling and camping and to tow my car to the track. I do alot of mechanical work as a hobbie, so i am not afraid of that. I am electronic tech by profession, so i am not too worried about that either.
My wife will drive it occasionally, she too has a daily driver though.

What mileage would be considered decent on a disco?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
If you don't mind the drive, Florida has lots of cheap Disco II's as can be seen on E-Bay.
DII's are a better ride, with better electronics, NO LUCAS, new Bosh fuel injection and more space.
Go find a nice 99 DII and enjoy it.
Mike J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.