Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a US spec 02 Disco salvaged from Land Rover in England. Book say's to replace trans fluid after 25K miles. I removed the filler plug and a ton of fluid poored out. I quickly installed the filler plug to stop it. The question is....according to the shop manual, the fluid should only be as high as the bottom lip of the filler hole. Could I be misunderstanding something? Seems pretty simple. :dunno:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Manual or Auto? Are you sure that it's not the transfer case fluid level that should be at hole level? Auto's take a lot of fluid and it would make sense that fluid would pour out.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You may have bitten off more than you can chew. Newer Rovers are weird when it comes to transmisson services. If it is the first service you must change the filter also.
If you haven't donthis yet you will need to get instruction on how to refil.
E-0mail me if you need help.
Mike J.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
The tranny fluid change (on US 4.0) should be done on the 30K service. If your's is salvaged I assume you lost your warranty?

According to my dealer, I had to keep current with the maintanance schedule otherwise it would void my extended warranty. Just had the 30K service done and it was expensive! $570.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, that would be good to know. It's an automatic. I was stationed in England and I picked it up there. Yea, no warranty. The guy I got it from had some deal set up to by cars with problems during shipment. He and his buddy bought them in lots from the insurance company that payed off LR. Anyway, the one I got had some gravel damage down the side from transportation to the port. Ordered by some guy in Cal. I also picked up the shop manual, not much help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disco Mike said:
You may have bitten off more than you can chew. Newer Rovers are weird when it comes to transmisson services. If it is the first service you must change the filter also.
If you haven't donthis yet you will need to get instruction on how to refil.
E-0mail me if you need help.
Mike J.
Thanks for your help. I need to do it now. I have 32K on it. The funny thing was is I was getting a little leak that appeared to come from the breather tube for the tranny. After I let some fluid out (about 1-1 1/2 quarts) and quickly replaced the plug out of fear, it still runs fine and I don't seem to have that tiny leak anymore. Any clues?

·
Registered
454 Posts
If a transmission is overfilled the heat and pressure will cause fkuid to exit by the vent hole. I've seen transmissions blow all the fluid out the vent when overfilled.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yhat is the problem with the Rover transmissons, yes you drained off some fluid, but if you did it when the transmisson was at operating temp you bled off too much. They must be topped of after replacing the ATF and after onlt 1 to 2 minutes of running. You may not notice it now but you may be running a little low without realizing it.
Check the proper filling procedures and top off the transmisson accordingly.
Good luck,
Mike J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts