Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. I'm the 3rd owner to ever own it. With the 1st person taking extremely well care of it and being in the military so it didn't get an excessive use. The second person taking good care of it as well.

I was driving it one day and the temperature gauge went up and back down, and I would pull over and it would go back to normal and then I would drive again, and it still continued to keep going up and down. Which made the coolant bubble over and out. I have gotten a new thermostat for it, and that didn't fix the problem. Then I got a new water pump, and that still didn't fix the problem. So it has been out of commission since before Christmas of last year, 2014. & I discovered that the heads are warped as well. And I'm on a budget, so I'm not quite sure what to do and seeing if anyone had this problem before and may have got it resolved or if anyone could help.

Thank you! Jessica.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Jessica;
I hate to be a downer. But...

I think this may be bad news. The D2 temperature gauge is notoriously useless, so if it registered a spike in temperature, the engine has probably overheated seriously. If the heads are not cracked, they will no doubt be, as you mention, warped. You may have slipped a sleeve, too. Check your oil and see if there is any sign of coolant leaking in, or if there are any signs of oil in the coolant, if there is it may be a cracked block. The bubbling in the coolant leads one to believe that the head gaskets have failed and that is also bad news. (Man I hate to tell you this stuff...) There are many threads on this forum and others that outline what steps to take in the case of an overheated engine, and they are all pretty expensive. There are guys on this forum that know more about this, let's see if I am just a doomsayer or if I may be on the right track, but I have a really bad feeling about your engine, and I am sorry that this is your first post with these problems! I really hope I am wrong.

There is ONE ray of hope; check out the sticky entitled A"MUST Read For Anyone About to Repair a Head Gaskets or a Valve Train Noise. You will find it at the beginning of the posts for Discovery 2 models on this very forum. Maybe, just maybe, you might not have the problem I fear....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hate to double down on the gloom & doom, but I tend to agree. Am curious as to how you know the heads are warped? IF it overheated that many times and warped the heads to boot, your probably looking at a new/used engine. Only way to know for sure would be to take it to a reputable INDY LR shop and have them pull the heads, inspect, pressure test the block, etc... Only then will you be able to decide if it's worth your money to repair it or just take the loss.
Sorry to hear your tale of woe - Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts