Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new to rover ownership, I recently bought a 92 RR. I noticed yesterday that the engine started hesitating, almost like it was cutting out, at between 2000 and 2500 rpms, but would rev clearly lower and higher than that. So I was planning new plugs, wires, etc. and hoping that was the problem.

But today the rover won't start, I jumped it and it was ok, except for the hesitation. But everytime I shut it off the battery light comes on and stays on and it won't start again unless jumped. It has a brand new battery and alternator, I put them in about 3 weeks ago. I'm really at a loss, I'm sure it could use new wires, plugs, but there must be a reason the battery light stays on after I shut it off?? When it is hesitating it feels similar to when the alernator died on me while i was driving... I would really appreciate any help if anyone has ideas or if this has happened to you. Thanks... Mike.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
Roverranger said:
Hello, I am new to rover ownership, I recently bought a 92 RR. I noticed yesterday that the engine started hesitating, almost like it was cutting out, at between 2000 and 2500 rpms, but would rev clearly lower and higher than that. So I was planning new plugs, wires, etc. and hoping that was the problem.

But today the rover won't start, I jumped it and it was ok, except for the hesitation. But everytime I shut it off the battery light comes on and stays on and it won't start again unless jumped. It has a brand new battery and alternator, I put them in about 3 weeks ago. I'm really at a loss, I'm sure it could use new wires, plugs, but there must be a reason the battery light stays on after I shut it off?? When it is hesitating it feels similar to when the alernator died on me while i was driving... I would really appreciate any help if anyone has ideas or if this has happened to you. Thanks... Mike.
The battery will stay on if the engine is not running it is a charge light not a condition indicator,check your engine earths these are critical on V8s run an additional earth strap from the battery neg terminal direct to the engine block this may well have been your trouble in the first place.
ONz

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it isn't defective. Take the battery back to the store and have them test it. It is possible one of the cells is dead or shorted. Battery will look fine, have proper voltage when tested with a volt ohm meter, except under load which it will fail miserably.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
OkieRover said:
Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it isn't defective. Take the battery back to the store and have them test it. It is possible one of the cells is dead or shorted. Battery will look fine, have proper voltage when tested with a volt ohm meter, except under load which it will fail miserably.
Well said mate,been down that road before!!!

· Registered
95 Posts
Yea, check the connections again (both ends). Check the wires going from the battery to starter and chassis ground and tighten point of contact. Almost sounds like a pre-existing condition that lead to battery not charging.

I replaced starter awhile ago and positive wire from battery loosened causing intermittent operation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.