Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '99 bone stock Disco Series I. This thing pretty much blows when it comes to snow. I really have a problem with the ABS. If I dc the fuse for the ABS will I be able to manually brake without the disturbance of having the ABS kick in? Also, any other suggestions for making this Rover more snow worthy?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So what tires are you running, I doubt it is the truck?
If you shift into a lock position on your t/case before you start the engine, your ABS and T/C will be disingaged.
Mike J.

·
2,986 Posts
Tires are definitely a big thing..

What are you having a problem with? Going through snow, or stopping in snow? No matter how good of a truck it is, stopping in snow is a driver thing.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
These are the most capable trucks on the plantet...I doubt its the truck

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else........ Check your tires!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am suspect of the tires as well. I'm just running some 16" radials on there for now. Until I get enough dough flow to buy some better ones. I'm definitely having trouble stopping, (it could be the snow conditions, first snow of the year is usually a bitch), but I'm also having trouble turning. I'll accelerate through the turns and the truck will not go the direction I'm pointing it.

What was this deal with locking in the TC and disengaging the ABS? Could you explain that further please. Thanks in advance.

·
2,986 Posts
I know that in Series II discos, if you add center differential locking (since they dont come equiped with it) .. if the car is shut off, and you engage it into locked, then turn the car on, the ABS/ETC is disabled. I don't know if its similiar on the DI.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The trucks computer, for whatever reason, does not activate the ABS unit if the t/case has already been engaged prior to starting. When this happens you are now able to drive with out the aid of the ABS which also controls the traction control. Not that this a big advantage while driving in snow but if you are off road you will have much better control of your traction and not so many braking problems while in reverse, going down hill backwards.
Try it, and go get some good tires, like a set of 245/75/16 BFG MT's.
Mike J.

·
Registered
789 Posts
i Live in Canada, and TRUST me, the one thing my DISCO is amazing at, is driving on the snow, when there's a blizzard out side i'm giddy like a school boy and cant wait to rush out and drive

·
2,986 Posts
If its a disco1 (~94-99) or a 2004 Disco2, then you have 4 positions you can shift to. You should drive normally in 4-High-Unlocked, then you can go to 4-Low-Unlocked, or you can also do 4-High-Locked, and 4-Low-Locked

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured it out, somewhat. I did not get the TC to shift into Diff Lock, maybe I need to try harder. But this thing is a beotch to get into locking position. I think I would really have to crank on it to get it to budge. I've read through the owners manual a couple times on how to shift it into Diff Lock position. I know how to do it now, but it shouldnt' be that tough.

·
2,986 Posts
If it isn't used for a while, it gets a bit frozen up. You can try getting under there and spraying the linkage with pb-blaster/wd-40 and letting it soak in.. There is a page somewhere, which I don't know off the top of my head, on how to dismantle and fix it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I didn't know that trick about engaging the CDL before starting to disengage the ABS! I've been pulling the fuse when offroading, but I'll give this a try instead next time I'm out.

The CDL was stuck on my '98 when I first got it. I used the page already listed and now it works great. Once you get it unstuck, be sure to lock it in every once in a while so you won't have to go through the procedure again. I also like to run it through an undercarriage wash every so often to make sure to get the muck and grime off of there.

I do a lot of mountain driving in the snow, and tires do make a big difference. Also try to remember that your Disco is really heavy, and drive accordingly. Another thing you might want to check is your ABS adjustment.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Errant,
When you ar going off the road, lock up like you usually and go. When the going gets tough, shut down the truck while leaving in one of the lock positions and just restart, done deal.
Mike J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK Errant, I'll bite. How would I go about checking the ABS adjustment. It seems as if the ABS came on as soon as I would touch the brakes today.

You know the picture....where I'm just laying on the brakes coming into a stop sign and the truck just rolls through it as if I had never even touched the brakes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I'm not sure there's an actual adjustment, but I do know that the sensor can become unseated (usually while replacing the rotors). I was told by a mechanic that I need to have my driver side checked, but I've left it alone until my next brake job.

Even with the ABS out of whack, I wouldn't think you'd roll through a stop. Does the pedal pulsate like it should when the ABS activates?

Maybe Mike can give us more info on this one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.