Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help appreciated. When my son was driving his LR 90 yesteday about 5 - 10 minutes travel time from start the engine suddenly cut out and died. He bought the car about three weeks ago from his holiday job earnings and it has been OK up to now. I went to tow him home this afternoon and after we had started the engine and left it running for about 3 or 4 minutes it died again (during the time it was running there were one or two small breaks in the firing). My 17 year old son is now looking hopefully under the bonnet clutching a Halfords manual and his brand new socket set. Any thoughts on what it might be would really be appreciated as we have no male car enthusiast around to help us. Incidentally the LR 90 has a newer turbo diesel engine than the age of the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cant help atall without telling us what engine its got?

You got a 2.5 Petrol, 2.5 N/A Diesel or a 2.5 Turbo Diesel (assuming its got its original engine in place still.

Also what sort of cutting out is it? Does it struggle to keep going then die or does it just stop?

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is likely to be a fuel problem- unless there's no compression or no air, the only thing that stops a diesel is lack of fuel.

It might be as simple as an air leak in the fuel system, and some big bubbles have found their way into the injector pump. Try bleeding the system and make sure all the fuel line connections are good and tight.

The fuel filter might be blocked- change it.

It might be a dodgy engine stop solenoid unit- the electrical switch mounted on the injector pump that cuts off the fuel when the key is turned to the 'off' position. Check the contacts are clean and tight, or replace it.

Try that to start with.

Jack

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
meadowlass said:
Any help appreciated. When my son was driving his LR 90 yesteday about 5 - 10 minutes travel time from start the engine suddenly cut out and died. He bought the car about three weeks ago from his holiday job earnings and it has been OK up to now. I went to tow him home this afternoon and after we had started the engine and left it running for about 3 or 4 minutes it died again (during the time it was running there were one or two small breaks in the firing). My 17 year old son is now looking hopefully under the bonnet clutching a Halfords manual and his brand new socket set. Any thoughts on what it might be would really be appreciated as we have no male car enthusiast around to help us. Incidentally the LR 90 has a newer turbo diesel engine than the age of the car.[/QUOTE

sounds like air in the fuel system or maybe a weak fuel lift pump has he ran out of fuel recently ?
what age/reg is the 90 it will help to diagnose and are you in the UK if so where as I may be able to put you on to some local help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.