Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2008 LR3 SE V6 with 74000km. Today when i started the engine, the display shows "Transmission Fault", and the shifter wouldn't allow to move out of "P".

I switched off the car, then trying to restart it again, and it wouldn't start!

Display still shows "Transmission Fault", but I couldn't get the engine running!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance!
Don

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hard Reset Instructions.

A hard reset costs nothing and solves some problems. Whatever is wrong is something simple but finding the problem rarely is.

Try this first.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.) Also when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.
You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.
Disco3Club The Discovery 3 and 4 Owners Club ? Login

Before you attempt the Hard reset, check fuse 30 in the engine compartment fuse box. If it is blown, a radio noise capacitor located by the right side front of the tranny has shorted and it blows F30E. The link below has a file related to the capacitor near the bottom of the album. The capacitor can be just disconnected if this is the problem and the fuse replaced and all will be fine again.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the Same problem.
We replaced the High Pressure Fuel Pump by lifting the body and after re assembly, it is showing transmission fault.
I am wondering if any cables not connected under the body. almost checked everything. still the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.