Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi John
You having Disco 1, maybe you can help me. I have to change the oil seal in the rear diff to prop shaft. Pretty easy enough job yes…….NO
I can’t get the centralizing peg out to access the flange nut. Any ideas as to how to get it out with out the Land Rover hunky funky $300 special tool. :eek:

Simon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Simon,

Fortunately never had to tackle that one, hope someone out there has and is able to help you. Good luck..

John

·
Registered
321 Posts
simon, since you know about the tool am assuming you know the principle of what and how the tool works.
Have not done this but how about getting some treaded rod and some bolts. Fashioning up something similar to their fancy removal tool?
take care
sam
in case you dont' know what it looks like

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you see Sam, I’m way ahead of you. First the rod has to be 8mm 1.25 thread and trying to find a long enough bolt threaded to the head let alone a rod here in the USA is like look for Rocking house S**t. Millimeters here means no-com-pren-day.
The longest I found so far is a 60mm bolt I used a 2-inch piece of pipe cut to 2inches long and a steel plate with a hole in it. I got this stuff on and real tight too then backed off coz I was worried about snapping the bolt or threading.
Now do you see my dilemma? :dunno:

·
Registered
321 Posts
instead of looking for a bolt, how about a threaded rod? use 2 nuts on top of each other to lock them and you'll have a bolt "head" anywhere along the threaded rod. also have it as long or as short as you like
am looking at a peice of threaded rod now and imaging it... if you wish can fashion up some card board and crap so send you a pic of what i have in mind...
take care
sam

·
Registered
35 Posts
centering peg remove

Install a long bolt with a washer stack say 3/8" high under the head, install a slide hammer and bang it out. See easy. Carl............o&o>....................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts