Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Im new at this forum and going to buy a D2.
I learned about common issues with differentials, head gaskets and 2003 Vin #s w/bad motor....
My question:
which year is overall better and most reliable if well maintained?
..any specific vin #s engine etc.. to look for?
Im looking for 2002 to 2004 and liking 2004 most...but if older year is worth and more reliable will consider a 2002 or even 2003.

Thank you in advance for your input..the more the better

Cheers:wave:

·
Registered
109 Posts
2002 and 2003 are the worst ones out there that is when ford took control of the company and used crappy parts that have a failure rate faster than any vehicle look for a 1999 or 2000 some of the 2001 ones are bad 2003 had bad vins which are the ones you really stay away I don't know to much about the 2004 people say good things about those I currently have a 1999 d2 white and I have had no major issues rather than not being able to put my seat back-.-stupid seat motor broke

·
Registered
30 Posts
The facelift models (2003 and 2004) are the best looking and drive better than older ones, thanks to numerous tweaks to the steering, brakes, and suspension. The 2004 also has the CDL restored.

So if you want the best, that would be a 2004.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is a list of facelift changes :

Automatic Temp Control noise reduction & increased functionality
Reduction in fascia squeaks & rattles
Less brake noise & judder
Improved glovebox latch
Reduced body in white noise ingress
Alarm/blip lock out fix
Better sunroof seal
More reliable fuel filler flap latch (Switch also repositioned)
Decreased rear door vibration
Fix for steering box & other oil leaks

Improved braking with larger master cylinder, new pads and front calipers
Refinement improved, with interior noise now just 63 decibels
New headlamps with whiter, more even light spread and better range, echo new Range Rover in style
New front bumper, with improved approach angle, new Range Rover fog lamps
New grille
New tail lamps, with indicators now in D-post and not in the bumper
4 new wheel styles
New thicker roof rails
Centre Diff-Lock now available (std on ES models)
3 new interior colour schemes (Black, Alpaca beige & Tundra grey)
Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) introduced, giving less body roll than a BMW M5
Hill Descent Control
Electronic Traction Control
Self-levelling Suspension (SLS), can be automatically/manually raised or lowered for loading or off-road use
Electronic brake force distribution (EBD), eliminates yawing under heavy braking

·
Registered
69 Posts
2004 is the best and final year. I just bought a 2004 SE. I stayed away from the HSE since they have the rear air suspension although changing out the airbags and compressor would probably address most performance issues and I understand them. Look out for bad headliners on the D2's. Then again most anything can be fixed. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you can't deal with a saggy headliner or a window not going up or little things here and there going bad every month or so then a disco is not for you period

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
2004. Bottom line is no matter what you choose, spend the money to have it inspected top to bottom by a reputable INDY LR shop, NOT the dealer. You want someone very knowledgeable about all the potential pitfalls of these trucks. It will be money well spent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm afraid my experience when searching for a good one, is that there's an awful lot of crap out there. A lot of people buy these trucks because they look cool, for style reasons, and don't look after them properly. When they realise they're in over their heads, they sell it on. Vehicles that have been owned for an average of 9 months are common, as are all kinds of neglected and ignored faults. If you get in and the sunvisor is falling down, the tires are bald, it's got the death wobble, and a cracked windshield (yes this happened to me too) time to run away.

Carfax checks are strongly recommended. I found one that had a major mileage discrepancy, for sale at a major dealer! I also found that the one I ended up purchasing had lots of service history on Carfax, even though it came with no paper records.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Facelift models suck, they're piles of crap... but if your choosing from only the 02-04's than 04 for sure. The engine doesn't suck as much as the rest of the ford owned D2's, but the build quality does.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's not always the case I payed $800 for my 1999 D2 and I haven't had to come out of pocket for really anything except for upgrades that I want and I've already ran over 45,000 miles on her

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.