Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off, I'm new to this forum, and even though I've owned my Discovery for a few years now and I'm mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, I've never diagnosed nor have I really done any work to this truck. It's a 1996 Dicovery, automatic trans. As of last week I've been hearing a loud humming noise coming from the front of the truck over 40MPH, it's gotten worse since then. Now I've been experiencing a clacking noise when I would put the truck into reverse for a while now, and the driver side front CV joint has gone on me in the last few days. I was wondering if this was a common issue with these trucks, and also if any of you would know what could be causing this humming. I'm hopeing it's just a drive shaft, or the wheel hub, but I really dont know, and I wanted to get an idea of how complicated is would be to properly diagnose and fix this issue before I go and start taking things apart. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I'm hoping it's just a wheel hub or a CV, how common is a broken transfer cases of front diff on these trucks?

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
First of all we should remove that hummer from the front of your Rover.

Then we need to find out how you were getting a hummer in your Rover in the first place.

Yeah it's a bearing probably.
That's where I'd start.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a couple of places that sell the whole wheel hub assembly, would that include the bearing, if so I'm just going to order a hub assembly and a CV. anyone else have any input that would help me out?

BTW: Roverland parts had them for sale.

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Does the sound change as you turn?
My experience with bearings tells me that the noise changes as I turned the vehicle.
But again. If it is bearings they are cheap but maybe not too fun to install.
I haven't done mine yet or I'd say more.

· Registered
229 Posts
Hmmming

Discofunk said:
I found a couple of places that sell the whole wheel hub assembly, would that include the bearing, if so I'm just going to order a hub assembly and a CV. anyone else have any input that would help me out?

BTW: Roverland parts had them for sale.
I would check and make sure there is oil in the diff & in the swivel housing's
first.

If you need wheel bearings you don't have to replace the hub unless it is scored & F***** up. New hub is expensive. You have to drive out the bearing
races with a hammer and brass punch or bring the hub assembly to a shop to
press them out .

Bearings are cheap. Try this place www.rockauto.com

Good luck

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
sounds like a U joint to me. they're a pretty common problem on these trucks if you donk hit them with a grease gun once in a while.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to look into all of those things in the next couple of days, what gear fluid should I use in the diff, and should I go with synthetic?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.