Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago I traded “up” to a 2000 RR 4.0. It was my father’s car but he liked to drive my 95 disco more. The trade did make sense, I don’t drive as much as he does, and he caries a lot of tools and junk that destroy the trunk of the car and the disco’s trunk is already thrashed. The final straw was him having to drive 200 miles on the bump stops. Got ripped off by the stealer pretty good; replacing just about everything. No more “foo foo” electronics for him. Pretty good deal for me right? Double the value of my car, get to tell people I drive a range rover ect ect…
Until now.
Less then 10k later, EAS FAULT again. 2000 mile from being out of warrantee thank goodness so I’m hoping when I take it in it will be cheap. But it all begs the question, what would I do if it hit the big 100k and there was not more warrantee? The answer is nothing. I can’t afford to spend very much on my meager college budget! I had been planning to put a grand or so into it and a trailer- to set it up to go to Mexico for some surf come spring time, but now it worries me that ill break down- down there and have to be towed home by the disco. We’ve got a good mechanic that works on our Mercedes and some things on the disco but he doesn’t have the tools to diagnose EAS problems in the Rangie (He mainly deals in high end Porches, BMWs, and Mercedes). Plus, even with the friendly discount, he’s not cheap, not that any mechanic is.

So in conclusion and simplification:
Paycheck – Gas – Food – Water Toys (boats, boards, ect…) – RR repairs = :(

What do I do?
Sell it? Trick my dad in to giving me back the Disco? Buy some cheap efficient car and buy another range rover when I have the money?

How do I get them to fix it right while its still under warentee?

PLEASE
Help me keep this car!

Have Fun
J

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sell it and get a pickup truck. Constant worrying and loss of confidence in a vehicle makes it no fun to drive.

Or switch with dad for the big Mexico trip.. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Once you get into the mid 1999 models, the RR became significantly more reliable. The one exception seems to be the EAS and many change it out for the coil suspension, at about a third the cost of the average repair. Done !
However, if you're a college student on a budget and working on and spending time in your RR isn't as important to you as other activities, sell it, get yourself something economical and leave the Rangie to somone with more resources. If it makes you feel better, the '95 Disco is at the age and probably the milage too, to start demanding some cash input too.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
I kind of feel your pain except my RR was an 89. Bought it for a steal(so I thought,but I think I was the one who got robbed), drove it for a little over a year a sunk a huge amount of money, not to mention my time fixing it, restoring, upgrading etc. etc. Don't get me wrong for some reason I now miss RR after IMO upgrading to a 97 D1 but I don't miss having my head under the hood at every waking moment which I don't with the Disco. If you don't trust taking it on a road trip and can't afford the repairs to fix it, get rid of it and get something a little more economical. Buy the expensive toys after graduating.

·
Registered
317 Posts
RandmSurfTrip,
Honestly, the Range Rover is not a college student car. How do you expect to pay for beer when getting 12 mpg? If you really dig the vehicle, mothball it until you can afford to pay for the inevitable repairs and gas. In the meantime get something economical and reliable. Heck, I still drive a 9 year old Civic at my age since it gets 40mpg on average and costs me just a few hundred dollars a year to keep on the road in repairs. I rationalize it as the money I save allows me to keep the Rover on the road...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
remington said:
Sell it.

Owning a luxury car is more than being able to afford to buy it. It's being able to afford to drive it. Move on.
says the guy while looking down his nose...

this is a friendly forum, as i am sure you may have noticed. be easy on the kid, at least he's given the whole situation a lot of thought.

with that said, randomsurftrip, you probably should just sell the RR. there will be lots of great vehicles available to you when the time comes. have your fun now. you'll have plenty of time to stress over expenses later. :drink1:

·
Registered
444 Posts
randomsurftrip, I think that everyone here agrees that you should sell it. It does seeem like a little too much to try to fork out on a college budget. I am actually making more money now than when I bought my disco but at the same time the way gas prices are and the cost of maint. on the truck are making me consider getting something smaller more economical, luxury or not, that is a lot of money to spend on gas and with buying a house priorities are changing.....I can understand why you would want to keep the RR as I am still battling myself over getting rid of the disco,

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
DO NOT SELL.........DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP THE TRUCK! Once a month fly out to Vegas and pimp youself out as a male prostitute (1st watch the movie, Less Than Zero), drug habit/ land rovers = same thing.
you'll be modifiying that truck quicker than you will learn to lick a D--K.

Have fun !!!! :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
lshill05 said:
DO NOT SELL.........DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP THE TRUCK! Once a month fly out to Vegas and pimp youself out as a male prostitute (1st watch the movie, Less Than Zero), drug habit/ land rovers = same thing.
you'll be modifiying that truck quicker than you will learn to lick a D--K.

Have fun !!!! :D
don't listen to this f'er, randomsurf. Ishill is NOT a role model! then again, he's got an '05 RR (among other alleged vehicles of some distinction). he must be doing something right.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
GriffSC said:
don't listen to this f'er, randomsurf. Ishill is NOT a role model! then again, he's got an '05 RR (among other alleged vehicles of some distinction). he must be doing something right.
I have a hard time selling cars, which is why I still have the Vette I bought in '88. If I could manage to buy a house & then get married without selling it I'm sure this dude can suck it up and hold onto the Rover if he really loves it.
PS. Pic of my new driveway done in pavers.......it is the 1st time I've had a decent driveway for my babies.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
i'm gonna have to start charging, just to pay for the driveway :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.