Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shifty: hi all i bought a 1988 range rover 3.5 efi 3 months ago and have had sterling service from her covering many miles without a problem until two days ago, when she turned over and over without starting (not even a cough) left her a bit and tried again to no avail! checked for spark, ok! theres plenty of fuel in tank, fuel pump fuse ok and supply of power from fuse local garage says pump needs replacing after auto electrician checked her out (he pulled of feed to top of plenium chamber? i turned her over no fuel appeared?) so costed it with them £110 for pump £200 for dropping tank and fitting + refitting tank as there is no inspection hatch in floor of load space! + another £150 for fuel tank as mines a little weepie so decided to leave them out, buy parts elswhere cheaper! and do myself! however just tried her again started first time ran for ages rang mechanics who said still needed work as fault in pump could be intermittent! have checked everywhere i can see for bad earth but am no expert would appreciate any advice from you all as im not one for trusting of such quick judgments! thanks in advance a worried range rover lover in dorset england

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Is she starting fine now? Did the shop replace the pump or just inspect? Did the tank get replaced because there was a recall on the tanks here in the US.

You should invest in a shop manual (I still need too). Any way I'm still at the bottom of the learn curve, but someone will be around soon with more advice.

cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could be two things, worn out fuel pump or corroded connections at the pump. I have a 88RR that was doing the same thing, when I would bang the fuel tank the pump would work for a while then quit. I bought a aftermarket pump at my local parts store. The spade connectors for the new pump were different, so I used the connectors from the old pump. Check this website it has a wealth of information on RR.

http://www.rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#fuelpump

Good luck!

John
Dallas,TX

1 - 3 of 3 Posts