Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and first thanks for looking at this post.

I have a 04 D2 that I love. It was my wifes daily driver for about 3 years or so. I put her into a new car and decided to keep my D2 for weekend travels and camping/hiking trips.

This past winter I was driving my D2 home from work on a brutal cold day and the water pump failed which then left me with a cracked block. The rest of the truck is in great order. Tranny shifts smooth, just did all brand new rotors, pads and rebuilt calipers, rebuilt the drive shafts. Besides a sagging headliner and one broken driving light the entire truck is great. And I have a ton of extra stuff added to it. SD rack with lights, 3 sets of wheels/tires. 18x OEM with brand new snow tires, and 2 sets of 5 aftermarket 1 set being Redbourne 20x10 with 33" Yoko Geolanders.

Do I replace the engine? Or just buy another one? I am in Ohio south of Cleveland and I am completely torn over what to do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could do an engine swap and come out ok. But if you found another d2 in the same condition, you could probably buy a new one and then have a whole parts vehicle.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Crunch the numbers - A rebuilt motor can run upwards of $7K-$8K installed, which doesn't really make it a viable option for most owners. A used guaranteed motor installed can still push the $4K-$5K range, which, as MRussell said, is about the price of a used, running '04 in decent shape.

If it were me, I'd probably part it out and cut my losses, but if you're really set on keeping it going, buy a good used D2, transfer all of your goodies and new parts from the old one onto the new one, and then part out the old one. Used D2 parts are still high-value, and it is worth the work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I believe I would rather just buy another D2. I think if I was gong to spend the money on a new motor, I would like to look at what options I would be able to use. Any other motors from other years swap in? I am in Ohio and am not worried about emissions. I really only plans on using this little of the years. It seems that the later on D2 motors arent very strong? I had a 95 D1 that ran like a champ, the body hammered and had some rust issues.

Thanks guys I know this the best place to have the conversation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.