Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Land Rover world and am trying to diagnose some issues with my Freelander.

The Current codes are as follows:
P0174-system to lean bank 1
P0171-system to lean bank 2
P0705-Transmission Range Sensor Circut Malfunction
P1472-VIS power/butterfly valves always open
P1470-Variable Intake blanac always open or short circut to ground

I also Have F4 flashing on the dash. Not sure what this means

I have cleared all of the codes to see which ones come back and they all do. I have done a lot of research and I cannot seem to find anywhere that lists the parts or part numbers required to fix this or the steps invovled in making the repairs. Does anyone have a place they can direct me or some guidence as to what I need.

Thanks in advance and happy rovering!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas from anyone on where to start diagnosing. 44 people gave already looked at this post and no one has any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hill decent light now flashes green until I put the car in gear and then it turns to yellow with an ! Mark. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I have now noticed that when I put the car directly in drive (meaning I don't go into reverse or fourth) the hill decent light and f4 don't show up. The second I put the car in reverse or fourth both lights cone on. Any ideas as to what would cause this. I have also noticed that the red led does not show up in park. Only in the other gears.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Your 171 and 174 codes are for O2 sensors ...How many miles on it ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 58,000 miles on it now. 02 sensors. Thanks. That is any easy fix. Any ideas on the others. The one that worries me the most is the trans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the Land Rover Dealership today and found out that my car has two open recalls. One for the fuel pump and one for the stop lamp switch. I am hoping that this will solve the lean issue and hill decent light.
Yesterday I checked the VIS operation as the land rover manual explains to and found out that the butterfly moves freely with no binding. Does this mean that i need a new VIS motor? And if so where can i get one of these. I have searched the web and been unable to find one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I have been busy. Got my new VIS Motors installed and cleaned the oil out of the intake manifold. I had my fuel pump and brake light switch recall done. For some reason my check engine is still on. I have not had a chance to clear the codes and see what new ones pop up but does anyone have any other ideas what could cause the lean codes?

I ordered a new transmission nuetral switch so that will hopefully fix the hill decent light and F4 light.

On a side note I am going to replace the trans fluid and was thinking about replacing the 2-4 brake solenoid at the same time. Has anyone done this? Is there a trick or any steps or a link to picts of someone else who has done this?

I also replaced the drivers door lock actuator so we are working good there now.

Thanks again for any help.

Shaune

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
174,171 are not oxygen sensor codes. They are lean codes that can be from anything from the pump to a broken pcv hose. The 1472 vis motors don't go bad. ignore the code.

perhaps the pump solved the problem but clear the codes and drive it again to see that what comes up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally had a chance to install the new inhibitor switch and clear all of the cel codes. The only code I get now is P0705 for the trans inhibitor switch. I ran the switch through it's whole range of motion and cannot get the f-4 and hill deent to stop comming on when the vehicle is in R N 4 or 1 gears. Any ideas on trouble shooting this.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
yeah you need to use a tool that aligns the switch. rover tool only

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I have had the land rover dealership and a land rover mechanic look at the car. Both said the trans shifter or control module were the issue. I have now had both replaced and f4 and hilldecent still come on. Any other ideas? I have also replaced the inhibitor switch prior to replacing the other pieces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have now noticed that when I press the hill decent button the light flashes green. According to the owners manual this means that the system has malfuntioned. Has anyone had this issue before or know what could fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heeelp plssss

Help me please:bawling: with this Error Code from my LR Freelander - 2007 2.2Diesel The code is P2542 end P2002 :dunno::confused

·
Registered
2 Posts
im also having the same problems plus more, i have the code for vis motor 1 short to ground as well as misfire on cylinders 3,5,and 6 plus a random misfire. The battery has been tested and is good, i replace one coil pack which wasnot firing and the rest i have pulled out one by one and tested and are firing, along with new spark plugs. The motor seems to sound ok idling but going uphills or getting up to 50 mph is impossible almost! Anyone have these problems or know how to fix it? there isnt a landy dealership here or anywhere close (plus the car wont make it there lol) so im not sure what to do with it. Any helpis appretiated, thanks alot!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a few similar codes for the last few months. sometimes the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light goes off for a while. Codes are:

PO171: System to lean- Bank 1
P1319: Manual Control Ignition System or Misfire

I recently had the fuel pump replaced per LR's service bulletin, but that didn't stop the codes. I recently drove a 1200 mile trip averaging speeds of 75 MPH and had no problems whatsoever. Any ideas? I am concerned, especially after all the dough I laid out to fix the coolant in the oil/oil in the coolant issue.

Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts