Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the head gaskets on my 3.9. It was sitting for 3 months apart before I was done (out of town for work). Well finally done, motor seems to run strong (except the fact I need to play with the timing and idle). When driving it the trans isn't shifting properly.

Say I floormat it the motor revs high and truck barley moves, let off throttle and trans will shift

What should I look for?

I changed the trans fluid last year and put on 1200 miles before starting the heads. Trans was perfect before messing with the motor. Is there any thing I could have done well replacing the gaskets???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Transmission not working...

Hi,
Was it just the heads that you took apart? Did you open up the transmission when changing the fluid (to access the filter)?

It sound a bit like the symptons that a friend had when his torque converter packed up! But, before I get you too worried....

Did you check the transmission dip stick with the truck level, in neutral & warm? (any of these not followed can give you a false reading on the dipstick) & the incorrect level in the transmission.

Also, you say that you changed the transmission fluid a while ago...is there any way you may of overfilled it above the line on the dipstick??? If you did overfill, this could cause problems!

Good luck,
Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Landy-Andy said:
Hi,
Was it just the heads that you took apart? Did you open up the transmission when changing the fluid (to access the filter)?

It sound a bit like the symptons that a friend had when his torque converter packed up! But, before I get you too worried....

Did you check the transmission dip stick with the truck level, in neutral & warm? (any of these not followed can give you a false reading on the dipstick) & the incorrect level in the transmission.

Also, you say that you changed the transmission fluid a while ago...is there any way you may of overfilled it above the line on the dipstick??? If you did overfill, this could cause problems!

Good luck,
Andy
Trans fluid level is where is should be, and I put 1200+ miles on the Rover after changing the trans fluid and zero problems with trans
I then did the head gaskets and didn't go near the trans

Can a trans develop a problem from sitting three (3) months? :confused

·
Registered
388 Posts
So you have poor throttle response and the trans is shifting weird? My truck sat for a year and the fuel injector rail got clogged up from rust. It had no throttle response (couldnt go over 50mph) and the trans shifted really weird. As soon as I figured out the fuel problem, the truck drove and shifted properly. So I'm guess ing that its engine related.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sven said:
So you have poor throttle response and the trans is shifting weird? My truck sat for a year and the fuel injector rail got clogged up from rust. It had no throttle response (couldnt go over 50mph) and the trans shifted really weird. As soon as I figured out the fuel problem, the truck drove and shifted properly. So I'm guess ing that its engine related.
Thats wear the problem is weird

Injectors are new same time as the trans fluid change... so they also have 1200+ miles on them
and the motor rev's strong in neutral (for lack of a better term...like a raped ape)

I'll be checking everything I can over the next few days
Thanks for the reply

Keep the advice coming guys even if it's not a direct fix it's still a double check

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Landy-Andy said:
Hi again,

I know this is highly unlikely, but......your not in "low" range are you?? :eek:

Ok, crazy I know but I had to ask.... :)

Andy

No, and for future aaaaahhhhhh never mind I don't want to hijack my own thread

I may have the solution
there is a cable from the throttle assembly to the trans that may be kinked or hung up... it will have to wait till tomorrow night aaaaaahhhhhhhhh :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.