Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 LR3 HSE. I bought it in Jan. 2013 40k miles from LR in Miramar SD. It now has 70K miles. I have had it serviced as needed and don't get it off road nearly as much as I should... SO that wouldn't be the cause, water entry....wet cables etc. It was a normal day I took my son to school. I parked...I worked and I got in my car to go home (the weather has been amazing also) no snow... rain etc.for cables... shortages. And all of the sudden I have Transmission Fault.. DHC system unavailable... suspension lowered. Brake light on amber steady.. ABS light on amber steady. The DSC button completely disabled. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! I trouble shot everything I could think of right off the bat... NEW fuses.. NEW brake light switch...checked the battery its only 2 years old. checked all lights.... NO new bulbs lately. SO today I took it to a well known European mechanic who also has LR's . (The closest LR dealer is over 2.5 hrs away.) He reads the codes it has thrown and says its a miscommunication error from my computer to the electrical system.... I need to go to LR. He says I am able to drive it still no problem outside of it being on the low suspension default. THOUGHTS!!!! PLEASE!:crying

· Registered
86 Posts
If you turn off the truck and turn back on does the fault lights go away and does everything return to normal? Did you check your steering calibration? Did you get new tires recently?

· Registered
86 Posts
I checked the voltage and tried a hard re set on the battery. I also got new tires about 3 months ago and these same lights went off but quickly fixed itself.
I would check the size of each tire. I've heard sometimes the tire installers mess up and put a wrong size tire on and that can throw a ton of faults.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the same size tire. I also did a wheel sensor reset. NOTHING! My mechanic said I need to take it to LR and get the computer re programmed. He says its throwing all sorts of sensors, and the sea its don't make sense. Making him think there is a miscommunication from the computer to all electrical modules on the car...... I feel like I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Is it really worth the 2.5 he to LR? Or am I missing something? Although the car only has 70k I know they are going to give a long punch list of to dos ir try to throw a 4k bill at me. And still not fix it.....

· Registered
59 Posts
What about the suspension compressor? Do you hear it running? It will normally kick in when you start the ignition, and run for about 20 seconds. The compressor is located on the driver's side just under the rear door.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the suspension compressor? Do you hear it running? It will normally kick in when you start the ignition, and run for about 20 seconds. The compressor is located on the driver's side just under the rear door.
Yes I hear it running.... I pulled the f26e fuse last night so I can at least drive it. I also checked the wiring last night under the passenger side floor trim... all looks good. I hope the suspension will stay up so I can possibly take it to LR 2 + hrs away on Tuesday. Any additional help...... PLEASE!!!!

· Registered
59 Posts
So the vehicle is able to raise and is not sitting on the bump stops, at least with the fuse pulled. Do you have the factory navigation? If so, go to the off road menu and look at what the tires are doing. If one of the height sensors is bad, you will see the line above the respective tire flashing red.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the vehicle is able to raise and is not sitting on the bump stops, at least with the fuse pulled. Do you have the factory navigation? If so, go to the off road menu and look at what the tires are doing. If one of the height sensors is bad, you will see the line above the respective tire flashing red.
Yes the vehicle will raise just fine as soon as I drive it will default back to "suspension lowered". So i pulled the f26 fuse to at least over ride that. I have the factory navigation and the 4X4 info. I have tested one wheel on a curb etc to see make sure the system is working. all is fine there... all is green and level no red flags on the navi.....

1,855 Posts
Take it to Matt at Land Rover Mission Viejo He is a super straight guy and has an LR3 with 150K on it now and knows all the ins and outs. He will tell u what you need and not try to sell you crap.
Telll him Dave from NY sent you,
Dave

1,855 Posts
What state was your LR3 before you bought it in Cali?
Dave

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought the car in Miramar San Diego. 2 owners me and the original who bought it from there as well. I am now in NC. UPDATE******** I took the car to the closest LR dealer in Raleigh. They just told me that it is the rear differential motor. its completely blown. SOOOOOOO 1700.00 later I am to pick the car up today or tomorrow. We will see if this works......

1,855 Posts
They probably never did the diff fluid service on your LR3. That is really too Bad!!!! I do it every 30K
Sorry to hear that. I still don't get why all your lights went off. I would think you would have heard the sound of the diff making noise.
David

· Registered
59 Posts
Rear diff motor? You must have the locking rear diff then. According to the terrain response manual, a failure of one component, such as ABS, air suspension, HDC, etc, will basically shut the whole system down. Meaning, on your vehicle, you can't use terrain response without the rear diff motor; the system detects a fault and gives you 4th of July.

I am surprised that this wasn't pinpointed when the codes were originally read.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update!!! Drives like a dream again! It was indeed my very special rear differential. They say I am "lucky" to have this in my LR.... Yep real lucky at 2k later lol. But anyway that was the problem for anyone that MAY be in the same boat. Thank you everyone for your help!!!!

· kevin
9 Posts
I had same problem. At first I could just dc and re-connect the battery and that would re-set every thing. That only worked for a while, though. The fix for mine (hopefully) was to replace the terrain response switch, then a trip to the dealer to properly re-assemble the unit and clear the fault code.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.