Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for ideas and or/ solutions for my 2002 DiscoII whose headliner has a couple of spots of sagging.

At this time, it's not bothersome enough for me to tear out the entire headliner and replace it. I understand that eventually the whole thing will probably droop and I'll need to replace it. What I'm looking for is a quick fix and I've read about the following:

1) Hypodermic needle filled with glue, to inject and smooth down

2) Using heat to help reattach the headliner to the factory glue. For this, I'd use a Zippo Hand Warmer and smooth it over the surface. These Zippo Hand Warmers get extremely warm!!

Do you think that either method might be a short term solution?

Any kind of ideas of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in the greater Los Angeles area, so does anyone know of solid automobile upholstery shop? I'll eventually need one. I'm guessing that this kind of job would run about $500.00 out the door, or am I mistaken?

Thanks again for your opinions and feelings on the subject!

LandyII

· 2004 Discovery SE
73 Posts
Landy, do a search on "headliner" or "Infamous sagging headliner", which is my posting on replacing my headliner. Or you can just search my postings. You might get some inspiration to tackle this common problem..................007

· Registered
66 Posts
Like 007 was getting at, this is a pretty common problem. There are a couple "quick fixes" out there, but they won't leave you with a really clean look. I wouldn't bother trying to reheat the factory glue. By now the backing has pretty much disintegrated into dust and you probably won't ever get the glue to get tacky. You're only surefire way to fix it is going to be pulling the headliner board. Some people opt to get rid of the fabric all together and paint the board. You'll never have to deal with sagging again after that. Personally, I'm a fan of the fabric. Headliner Express can get you fabric and spray adhesive for under $200.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Sadly - there are no short term fixes for a sagging headliner. It's construction is a thin layer of fabric over a think layer of foam and once that foam starts breaking apart (the reason the liner is sagging) there is pretty much nothing you can do to make it better, it's literally dust at that point. Using a heat gun will just melt the foam or start a fire and using a hypodermic needle will leave the glue very visible. Other than LR's, I'm really into Hondas - Hondas are notorious for having bad headliners. I've tried everything and the only hope is a replacement.

But don't spend $500. Simply go to a local craft and fabric store (Jo-Ann, etc.) and pick up a roll of headliner fabric and 3M spray adhesive. They do have it, it is high quality, and it comes with a foam backing. After that, pull your headliner, and simply peel off the layer of cardboard where the original foam is attached leaving the cardboard shell of the headliner intact. It will be a little thinner but no matter. Once you've cleaned the old liner from the fabric and foam, measure carefully and start gluing the new fabric to the shell. It takes time and patience but the fix is like new and permanent.

· Registered
1 Posts
Being in the middle of currently reupholstering my D2 headliner, I would not go the craft store route due to the simple fact that you will need 64" wide (minimum) foam-backed fabric for your repair. Typical craft store variety fabric is only 54" wide, and the likelihood that fabric has any UV protection is slim. Also, you will be extremely lucky to find foam-backed fabric that is anywhere close to the color you would want, maybe offering black, a light gray, and a darker gray. It is not practical or cost effective to attempt backing common fabric with 1/8" foam as a DIY alternative.

I suggest searching the D2 threads on this website under headliner repair. Many relate to the common sunroof leak issue, which is why I'm reworking mine. Look for the guy from Orlando who has the upholstery shop. His posts are a wealth of info. Sorry I don't remember his screen name, but it will be obvious who he is. He does work for some Rover dealerships.

· Registered
59 Posts
Taking the headliner out isn't very hard, just takes awhile. When I did mine I had it reupholstered at a local shop, which only cost 200. The new stuff looks great. For me it having a pro do it was more convenient, though i did scrape all the old stuff off. Most of the short-term solutions turn out to be just that, better to get it done with IMO. Also a good opportunity to check the sunroofs!

· Registered
408 Posts
Being in the middle of currently reupholstering my D2 headliner, I would not go the craft store route due to the simple fact that you will need 64" wide (minimum) foam-backed fabric for your repair. Typical craft store variety fabric is only 54" wide, and the likelihood that fabric has any UV protection is slim. Also, you will be extremely lucky to find foam-backed fabric that is anywhere close to the color you would want, maybe offering black, a light gray, and a darker gray. It is not practical or cost effective to attempt backing common fabric with 1/8" foam as a DIY alternative.

I suggest searching the D2 threads on this website under headliner repair. Many relate to the common sunroof leak issue, which is why I'm reworking mine. Look for the guy from Orlando who has the upholstery shop. His posts are a wealth of info. Sorry I don't remember his screen name, but it will be obvious who he is. He does work for some Rover dealerships.
Maybe I'm being little short sighted, but why would the headliner need to have UV protection? I can't imagine how the headliner would receive any sustained sunlight exposure, unless you plan on spending large amounts of time shiny side down?

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the ideas and information! Looks like I'll pull the headliner, scrape it, order the fabric and have it redone by a professional and then reinstall it.

So far I've never had any problems with any sunroof leaks! Or any other kinds of infamous Disco leaks either!

· Registered
123 Posts
Maybe I'm being little short sighted, but why would the headliner need to have UV protection? I can't imagine how the headliner would receive any sustained sunlight exposure, unless you plan on spending large amounts of time shiny side down?
I was thinking the same thing...

· HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Thumb Tacs would work the best to hold up your Headliner until your able to recover your board with new material. The only thing the thumb tacs will hurt will be your Pride !

Using a Steamer to liquefy the adhesive does not work as this is a foam backing issue not an adhesive issue.

You can only expect a headliner to last between 5-8 years of age in the deep south. Mother nature has no mersey on how much money you have invested, weather or not your vehicle is garage keeped or not or how low your mileage is. UNLESS you can find a way to reduce the heat trapped inside your vehicle this will always be the end result

If you want to reduce the Heat within your Land rover and extend the life of the interior I would recommend using WeatherTech® Side Window Deflectors they are the best products to reduce wind noise and allow interior heat to escape in turn extending the life of your Seats,Dash Board, Headliner, Electronics ect

· Registered
181 Posts
I was thinking of the hypodermic needle filled with glue option but where the hell can you get a hypodermic needle...and if you can get one someplace i am sure they will believe you're using it for your headliner....right.....

Thumb tack sounds like a good option for keeping the sag from spreading just have to mirror every tack on the other side so it doesnt look odd (or maybe it would look odd'er)...also going to suck when one of those falls out on your seat and you dont notice it when you get it...hole in your seat or an extra one in your ass...

I havent seen a headliner stripped and painted...sounds like another good option but how is the finish? I have seen photos but not in person...

· Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking of the hypodermic needle filled with glue option but where the hell can you get a hypodermic needle...and if you can get one someplace i am sure they will believe you're using it for your headliner....right.....

Thumb tack sounds like a good option for keeping the sag from spreading just have to mirror every tack on the other side so it doesnt look odd (or maybe it would look odd'er)...also going to suck when one of those falls out on your seat and you dont notice it when you get it...hole in your seat or an extra one in your ass...

I havent seen a headliner stripped and painted...sounds like another good option but how is the finish? I have seen photos but not in person...

It all depends on your prep work. 80% of the glue came off nice and easy. Between the little but of glue that wouldn't come off and a little bit off the fiberglass board starting to frey gave it a hairy chest look in a few places after it was painted. Keep in mind you prime it then use a rhino coating of some sort. I love the way mine turned out and only i can tell where it's not perfect. I tried to make it look like the dashboard fyi.

· Registered
181 Posts
It all depends on your prep work. 80% of the glue came off nice and easy. Between the little but of glue that wouldn't come off and a little bit off the fiberglass board starting to frey gave it a hairy chest look in a few places after it was painted. Keep in mind you prime it then use a rhino coating of some sort. I love the way mine turned out and only i can tell where it's not perfect. I tried to make it look like the dashboard fyi.
Land Rover : Discovery Custom in Land Rover | eBay Motors

Check out the liner on this rig...360 ARMRX “KEVLAR” finish on the headliner…

Any similar product would probably work just as good...i would just be worried about cracking it putting it back in...

· Registered
5 Posts
I am going to strip my old headliner off. I am then going to spray it with rubber undercoating (will give it a nice texture and help with noise control). I am then going to paint that with a computer matched satin latex with a ceramic bead additive to help with heat control and sound control. I will send pics when I am done.

· Registered
181 Posts
Did you get going on this project? Any update?

· Registered
2 Posts
Sadly - there are no short term fixes for a sagging headliner. It's construction is a thin layer of fabric over a think layer of foam and once that foam starts breaking apart (the reason the liner is sagging) there is pretty much nothing you can do to make it better, it's literally dust at that point. Using a heat gun will just melt the foam or start a fire and using a hypodermic needle will leave the glue very visible. Other than LR's, I'm really into Hondas - Hondas are notorious for having bad headliners. I've tried everything and the only hope is a replacement. But don't spend $500. Simply go to a local craft and fabric store (Jo-Ann, etc.) and pick up a roll of headliner fabric and 3M spray adhesive. They do have it, it is high quality, and it comes with a foam backing. After that, pull your headliner, and simply peel off the layer of cardboard where the original foam is attached leaving the cardboard shell of the headliner intact. It will be a little thinner but no matter. Once you've cleaned the old liner from the fabric and foam, measure carefully and start gluing the new fabric to the shell. It takes time and patience but the fix is like new and permanent.
Hi the spray adhesive works great but left a horrible stain on my tan headliner now I'm having to find a spray fabric paint to fix tht

· Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
796 Posts
Hi the spray adhesive works great but left a horrible stain on my tan headliner now I'm having to find a spray fabric paint to fix tht
You either went too heavy on the glue or the fabric is too thin (or some combo of both)

· Registered
317 Posts
Stripping the fiberglass shell and painting it is the only way to go. Fabulous pebbled finish, and it will never sag again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts