Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bgreen: I need some help and I need it quickly. I have been drawn to owning a Land Rover for quite some time and think it might be time...Looking at a 95 LWB County on the web and not completely sure of previous service. (it does have converted suspension - Bilstien) Who knows of an on-site inspection service that knows RR's. Most that I have found appear to offer only a little more than a general visual inspection. I need someone in the Seattle area. I need to move fast if I want this one! By the way...who is Lucas??? see i told you i was new !

·
Registered
317 Posts
southerngirl,
Firstoff, don't rush into any vehicle purchase, especially a 10 year old one. If you are considering a range rover, make sure you know the problem areas...check out a site like www.rangerovers.net, there's a bunch of information there.

Why does it have to be an on site inspection? The place selling it should be able to put dealer plates on it...Perhaps a call to the local dealer would give you an option...maybe they could tow it for an inspection there? Do you have AAA? Maybe a call to them is in order...but the vehicle usually needs to be registered for them to tow it...

Lucas is the brand of electronics on most British vehicles. The joke goes, why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refridgerators...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to rush either...This Rover has 124K miles and the last 30K interval service I have been able to verify was at 60K miles. It is possible that the 90 and 120 have been done, but no proof at this point. Was also told that at around 93K miles it had some cylinder/head work done. I had asked if the seller would take it to the local dealer for a check, but he does not have time. (I know, probably not worth the effort if he is not willing to work with me, but I think that is because he might have another interested party (or so he says)). Anyway, it looks like a well cared for vehicle, however, I want someone that KNOWS Range Rovers to do an inspection. He suggested a company that does inspections, but it is one of those companies that will do an inspection on ANY type of auto...not comfortable with that. Good suggestion about towing...will see if that will work. THANKS!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, if this current owner doesn't have the time to assure you, as a potential buyer, that the vehicle is in good running order, I'd say it's time for you to walk away.

If someone else is waiting in the wings to drop money on a vehicle of unknown reliability, and is willing to take that risk, that's their business, not yours. Don't be put off by any pressure.

There are tons of used rovers for sale, just be patient, learn all you can and you'll find the right one *with* the necessary repair records.

I'd say that any company that does inspections should be able to find 90% of the problems in any vehicle...but without records...I'd say no.

If there has been cylinder/head work done, I'd push for a compression test to verify that you don't have to revisit this in the near future.

I dunno, sorry for raining on your parade, but I'd be very wary here. With 124k on the clock there are bound to be issues you'll have to deal with...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks again...I think if they can't find 90K and 120K service records or can't advise where that has been done so I can verify...I will walk on this one. If they can, I will have it inspected by Biggs in Bellvue WA - they were on the list from Kevin88RRC and specialize in Rovers. Does that sound sensible to you? I will also have them do the compression test per your advise...thanks for the tip!

Any idea about how much compression test would cost or if it would be part of the normal inspection?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think the compression test would be included in a general inspection simply due to the time involved with an 8 cylinder engine.

A shop that specializes in Rovers is probably your best choice for a pre-purchase inspection, last time I checked, this usually cost about $100 or so, figure another $80 (or a shop hour...) or so for a compression test...you can ask them first...

And if this vehicle doesn't work out...no biggie, remember, there are many others out there. The worst thing is *having* to find a car pronto. I've been burned in the past by purchasing a car too quickly to meet a need. Take a breath and take your time. Worst case, if you need a car and can't find a rover to meet your needs, you can buy a beater to get around in the short term...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you do find a garage willing to do the test, make sure they know they are reporting TO YOU and ONLY to you. DO not let them give a copy of the report or results to the seller.

If he wants a copy, split the cost with him. If it is clean, it will help his resale value. A quality seller would have no problem with this.

If the seller wants a copy, but is unwilling to go half, make sure he doesn't get a copy. It's for your Peice of mind, not his. :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts