Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally picked up my sight-unseen 1998?? XS and it is not too bad I guess for what I paid for it ($3,500USD) How do I tell what year the car is from the compliance plate?? I was told it is a 1998 but I do not see that anywhere?

My biggest issues are so far are the ABS light (see other thread) and my drivers side front window.

The window seems totally dead. It will try to wind down with a horrible grinding sound but will not go up again. Seems like a runner or something might be broken. My question is, how do I get in to have a look at it???
Any help with instructions on how to pull off the door cover would be much appreciated! As would any help with the actual problem.

My only other problems are hopefully fuses or bulbs as I have no tail lights and no front sunroof operation.

Is there a manual online anywhere? mine is in french!?!?!?!

Thanks so much all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
As I recently purchased a '97 Discovery, sight unseen, I have some smypathy!

Did you find a manual?

I found the Discovery workshop manual Series 1, from 1995 onwards, 2nd Edition.

Its in PDF format, 976 pages, and 15mb in size.

Yell if you need a copy of it.

Oh....and my Disco came from Japan imported into NZ
and after blast around the back country yesterday..I love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stevecol said:
As I recently purchased a '97 Discovery, sight unseen, I have some smypathy!

Did you find a manual?

I found the Discovery workshop manual Series 1, from 1995 onwards, 2nd Edition.

Its in PDF format, 976 pages, and 15mb in size.

Yell if you need a copy of it.

Oh....and my Disco came from Japan imported into NZ
and after blast around the back country yesterday..I love it.
Hi Steve
Alas still no luck on an english manual for me. Would love to download the one you found but cannot recieve it by email due to the astounding speed of Lebaneese internet connections! NOT!
The guys here are a great help if you have any problems though! Good Luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Beirut_Rover said:
Hi Steve
Alas still no luck on an english manual for me. Would love to download the one you found but cannot recieve it by email due to the astounding speed of Lebaneese internet connections! NOT!
The guys here are a great help if you have any problems though! Good Luck :)
Go to this site for VIN info

I think your Disco has a distributor and not the GEMS system like the ones in the US, can you confirm this?

For the manual goto my website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 96 disco. Taking the door pannel off is easy all you need is a screw driver. Start by taking off the little handel that opens the door, it has one screw , then take off the the little handel you use to pull the door close two screws. Then you get a flat head screw driver and gently pry off the window seal on the inside by getting under it and prying up it should just pop off. The door pannel is next , start form one corner and work your way around gently inch by inch. Once the door pannel is off you will have some clear plastic lining thast is glued to the door gently peal this off and then you will have accsess to the window operator. It sounds like one of the little plastic rollers came out of the track or in my case is broken into peices. Landrover will make you by the whole window operator assembly for $400, so you might have to get creative to fix it yourself. I did but thats a long story and aolt of time good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ry949 said:
I had the same problem with my 96 disco. Taking the door pannel off is easy all you need is a screw driver. Start by taking off the little handel that opens the door, it has one screw , then take off the the little handel you use to pull the door close two screws. Then you get a flat head screw driver and gently pry off the window seal on the inside by getting under it and prying up it should just pop off. The door pannel is next , start form one corner and work your way around gently inch by inch. Once the door pannel is off you will have some clear plastic lining thast is glued to the door gently peal this off and then you will have accsess to the window operator. It sounds like one of the little plastic rollers came out of the track or in my case is broken into peices. Landrover will make you by the whole window operator assembly for $400, so you might have to get creative to fix it yourself. I did but thats a long story and aolt of time good luck.
$400! Jesus! I got the door off and discovered that the window assembly was mangled beyond repair (dont ask me how it got that bent) But I paid $180USD for the whole assembly here in Beirut and got a 15% discount on top of that.......
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top