Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back I got a ignition from off a different Land Rover through a salvage yard and I had the old driver door handle to my old ignition so I had to separate keys well that door handle shitted on me but I had already purchased the handle for the new ignition in my car well I installed the new handle and everything but this is where I’m having trouble the lock knob that moves up and down when you unlock and lock the door doesn’t move as well as I cannot open the door from the outside please help thank you

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I would disassemble and inspect the mechanics of the lock and door pull linkages. It sounds like they’re binding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a while back I got a ignition from off a different Land Rover through a salvage yard and I had the old driver door handle to my old ignition so I had to separate keys well that door handle shitted on me but I had already purchased the handle for the new ignition in my car well I installed the new handle and everything but this is where I’m having trouble the lock knob that moves up and down when you unlock and lock the door doesn’t move as well as I cannot open the door from the outside please help thank you

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
if you replaced the handle, then remove the handle again and inspect the components between the handle and the latch/lock assembly

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying that the door will not unlock at all? With key or button? Or just the tab doesn’t move?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying that the door will not unlock at all? With key or button? Or just the tab doesn’t move?
The tab/knob doesn’t move up or down and my car won’t open from outside when I pull on the handle

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
right, but when you press the unlock button on the dash, do you hear/feel the actuator moving?

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
With the door panel removed, sit in the truck with the door closed and your hand on the actuator and toggle the switch. You may feel it trying to actuate.
Your other locks are behaving properly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same.... bought off another owner and he said that the lock “just” seized up and just use some graphite. I don’t do graphite, so I took it apart and everything works... the only problem is this guy replaced the ignition and didn’t give me the key to the door... fortunate I pinstripoedbthe heck out of it and caught some branches on the roof... so it’s not exactly a vehicle you want to break into or steal.... gotta luv silver-linings!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I had the same.... bought off another owner and he said that the lock “just” seized up and just use some graphite. I don’t do graphite, so I took it apart and everything works... the only problem is this guy replaced the ignition and didn’t give me the key to the door... fortunate I pinstripoedbthe heck out of it and caught some branches on the roof... so it’s not exactly a vehicle you want to break into or steal.... gotta luv silver-linings!
I assume you can take the VIN to the stealership and they will cut you a key for the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts