Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sand fan!!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

Yes... I've search every ware ...

Some say it will work if the 4HP24 is from P38 by just swapping the extension housing and rear shaft (not sure about the shaft) ..

others say it will not work since the internal wiring is totally different!

what is the right answer. I need to buy it since its about 250USD instead of the D2 trans (1000$)

any advice please!!

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
so many questions - the first being where are you?
in the US the D2 came out with the ZF 4HP22 and the 4.6 in 2003 the ZF 4HP24. You dont give a year or country so its difficult to help but
The 4HP22 and 4HP24 are the same box essentially but the 24 is 15mm longer as it has a bigger fluid pump to get slightly more pressure to cope with the 4.6 liter engine.
the mechanicals however are the same other than the overall length.
What mods may be required depends on your model but if replacing one with the other then they should bolt right in but you would need a slightly shorter prop shaft if replacing a 22 with a 24
Cant give you a better answer as you dont give enough info.
cheers
Barri

·
Sand fan!!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so many questions - the first being where are you?
in the US the D2 came out with the ZF 4HP22 and the 4.6 in 2003 the ZF 4HP24. You dont give a year or country so its difficult to help but
The 4HP22 and 4HP24 are the same box essentially but the 24 is 15mm longer as it has a bigger fluid pump to get slightly more pressure to cope with the 4.6 liter engine.
the mechanicals however are the same other than the overall length.
What mods may be required depends on your model but if replacing one with the other then they should bolt right in but you would need a slightly shorter prop shaft if replacing a 22 with a 24
Cant give you a better answer as you dont give enough info.
cheers
Barri
Thanks Barri,

the car with bad trans is 2002 discovery (MENA) its ZF4HP22EH ..

I'm replacing it with ZF4HP24 from P38 ( with a Borg Warner transfer box. two speed ratio reducing gearbox) can't tell the model or any info since its in the junkyard alone without engine .

Q: could it fit ?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
OK a couple of differences - the discovery uses the landrover built LT230SE transfer case that is gear driven with a center lock differential the P38 uses the borgwarner chain driven case with a viscous clutch coupling.
I know quite a few people who have changed their P38's to run with the LT230 as the P38's viscous clutch tends to freeze at about 100K miles and grenade the box. I have not ever heard of anyone converting from a LT230 to a borg warner box - dont want to get in a pissing match but GENERALLY the LT230 is considered better.
I dont know that I would try the swap the way you are looking at but the transmission part the actual ZF4HP22 to 24 conversion should not be a problem - I know its fairly easy to go from a borg warner transfer case to a LT230 case but have no idea how difficult it would be doing the reverse fit - sorry
Its not a swap I would do with the borg warner case anyway - if you can stick your LT230 on the p38's ZF4HP24 box then you would probably be better off - its a common swap.
cheers
Barri

·
Sand fan!!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK a couple of differences - the discovery uses the landrover built LT230SE transfer case that is gear driven with a center lock differential the P38 uses the borgwarner chain driven case with a viscous clutch coupling.
I know quite a few people who have changed their P38's to run with the LT230 as the P38's viscous clutch tends to freeze at about 100K miles and grenade the box. I have not ever heard of anyone converting from a LT230 to a borg warner box - dont want to get in a pissing match but GENERALLY the LT230 is considered better.
I dont know that I would try the swap the way you are looking at but the transmission part the actual ZF4HP22 to 24 conversion should not be a problem - I know its fairly easy to go from a borg warner transfer case to a LT230 case but have no idea how difficult it would be doing the reverse fit - sorry
Its not a swap I would do with the borg warner case anyway - if you can stick your LT230 on the p38's ZF4HP24 box then you would probably be better off - its a common swap.
cheers
Barri
Thanks for the input

okay then ... I will replace the Borg Warner transfer box along with Trans extension housing .. with LT230SE along with transmission extension housing to be fit into Discovery ... no rear shaft is needed to be swapped

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
No - even though you swap the boxes the 4HP24 is 15mm longer than the HP22 so even if you swap out your transfer case you would still be too long for the rear shaft.
As I said the most common swap with the P38 HP24 is to add a LT230 transfercase (in the P38 vehicle) but remember the HP24 you are talking about is at latest a 1998 - pre traction control. I dont know anyone who has done this swap. Certainly mechanically you COULD do it but it may be a better idea to just use a disco box even if its the later HP24 off a 2003+ 4.6 disco with TC.
cheers
Barri

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
good luck with the swap
Pictures would be very good and maybe a separate thread to help anyone else who may try it :)
cheers
Barri

·
Sand fan!!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've read .. there are three torque converter types , and you could interchange any with regard of input shaft diameter and flex plate.... my plane is to re-use the 4HP22 one.

for the extra length its 15mm only ... And I think if I re-use the rear extension from the 4HP22 (~10cm) it will solve the issue for the length and mounting .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.