Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi World :wave:

I am down in New Zealand and have just purchased a 96 Discovery and am really happy with my purchase. This is a great site and I have a few questions, which do not seem to be covered in the forums.

1) From a standing start; in drive with full gas I changes out from 1st to 2nd around 3000 RPM and from 2nd to 3rd around 4000 RPM. This seems really low. Can anyone please confirm what Revs their vehicle changes up.
2) In terms of manuals, which is better the Haines or Gregory.
3) What tire pressures are everybody running. I have been told everything from 28 psi all round to 36 front and 38 rear.

Any and all help appreciated. :dunno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Tonka_Thom,
Where are you in NZ? I have friends in New Plymouth. I too have a Discovery I that I am bringing back to top condition. I ordered the Bentley service manual. It's expensive (US$129) but hopefully worth it in repairs savings. I am currently about to change out the PO's aftermarket radio for a more sane alternative. The sub-woofer in the rear is trashed so many changes are in the works.

regards,
rick, in Tulsa, OK USA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tyre Pressures

Hi Tonka,

My Discovery runs 235/70*16 Goodyears. There should be a sticker on the drivers door that tells you what pressures to run. If your tyres are the same size as mine they should be 26 psi front and 34 psi rear. Check your spare as-well. The gear change sounds normal mine does the same sought of thing, if you are really hoofing it then the kick down should hold the gear longer. If you stay in 3rd then it will hold on to the revs until you drop it in 4th. I havn't gone off road much ( not had the chance yet) but I live in a mountain range and sometimes its best to leave it in 3rd to get up the hills. Also your engine will be a low compression (8.13 to 1) for our 91 octane unleaded. The rest of the world got the high compression engine (9.3 to 1) and a bit more go. Such is life, so if it feels a bit lazy you know why.

Wes in oz ( Melbourne) (Abs light still on)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help.

I am in Weelington and after further checking have a 9.3 CR, 4.0 litre. have been running on 91, will go to 96 when i gas up tomorrow.

changed the tyre pressures and that has really softened the ride.

Have no seen a bently manual in NZ, but I will have a look around

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wellington is a beautiful town. Have friends at GNS. I am rebuilding the audio system in my Discovery I right now. I then have to get to the ABS sensors. Also in the queue is refinishing all the once-was-black plastic and rubber trim. For that last step I am using SEM (brand) rubber bumper paint. Glad to hear that you have the higher CR engine, even if it means higher octane fuel. Best regards, Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Howdy!

Dont ever use 91!!!! LR engines HATE it. I used to use a mix of 95 + 98 in my DII V8s! They go better and use less fuel - a bit less anyhow;)

Don't let it get hot. I run Pirelli Scorpion ATRs on mine and always run 34psi all round.

Happy trails.:clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts