Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 Range Rover Classic has a starting/running problem that I have narrowed down to fuel delivery. It suddenly would not start the normal way...turning the ignition key. A friend recommended holding pedal to floor. That ended up helping to start it. Engine responded normally to increased throttle but it didn't want to idle properly and would then die. It started a couple times after that first difficult start but now it only gives a little hint of ignition when I play the pedal lightly. Air Flow meter/Mass air flow sensor, fuel pump relay, or idle stepper motor?

I confirmed that plugs are sparking. Reading other threads, it looks like fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would check the vacuum line from stepper motor housing to fuel pressure regulator
But I think you need to adjust your timing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump running? It is not loud but still audible. If not, remove the carpets in the load space, then the covers over the pump and test the connections with a meter. The green wire is the fuel level sender, the black is earth and should show zero ohms - if it does not, install a new ground from the connection to somewhere on the body. Finally, check the last wire (probably white but could be red). If there is no power, trace it back under the vehicle and you will probably find the break.

Obviously, if the pump is running, you can ignore the above comments. Look under the bonnet for a loose union and refer to the previous post about the stepper motor. Also check the tube between the plenum and the MAF has not worked loose

Hope this helps

Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts