Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 RR Clasic that has begun sputtering when first running. Sputters for about the first 10-15 minutes of driving, then clears up and runs well. Replaced: Plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, and have checked and or replaced vacuum lines. Check engine light does not come on, looking for any thoughts from someone that may have had the same issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
OkieRover said:
Have you cleaned the throttle position sensor?
This is the same as the potentiometer right? how do you clean it? it seemed its a closed unit, and that where it connects to is not really anything that would need cleaning.. just curious.

I would test or replace your engine temperature sensor, not the one for the gauge but the one that goes to the ECU, since you say it happens while it's cold.

Just a guess.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
WOW!!! Holy oversight BATMAN!!!!
I meant to say in my previous post the AIR IDLER VALVE!!!!!
Wow. :eek: :eek: :eek:

No those two are different.
The TPS, potentiometer is closed and there isn't much to can do with it.
But the air idler valve is a plunger type device and the end and contact point inside the plenum can be, and must be periodically cleaned.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, for the help. I have pulled the plenum off and cleaned, checked the Idle Valve and all vacuum lines, wiring, etc. Have an appt. with a rover mech. on Monday to have him look at it before I start replacing sensors at $100 - $150 a shot................. He is also thinking the temp sensor is a possibility, since it goes away after it warms up. I will post what they find, maybe it can help someone else.

Tally Ho........to the shop I go!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem with my classic and have not been able to figure it out. It was just recently suggested that the temp guage may be the problem so I am looking into that too. Let me know your result...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
DallasRover said:
He is also thinking the temp sensor is a possibility, since it goes away after it warms up. I will post what they find, maybe it can help someone else.
Check the water temp sender to the ECU.

"From the shop manual"

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE THERMISTOR
(SENSOR)
The coolant thermistor (sensor) is located by the
front left hand branch of the intake manifold. The
thermistor provides engine coolant information to
the E.C.U. The E.C.U. on receiving the signal from
the thermistor will lengthen slightly the time that
the injectors are open, and reducing this time as
the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this post is SUPER old but did you ever find out the issue?

My RRC is having the same symptoms right now and I've replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, cleaned IDCV. I made sure no vacuum leaks. Running out of ideas..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this post is SUPER old but did you ever find out the issue?

My RRC is having the same symptoms right now and I've replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, cleaned IDCV. I made sure no vacuum leaks. Running out of ideas..
Dude,
you're using my photo as your avatar....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts