Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a used 2008 LR2 in October of 2013.
In the winter on the hwy there seemed to be issues when driving for over 1 hr or more. I would receive Hdc fault system unavailable, Transmission Fault, Terrain Response System Fault and when checking it would quickly move the spedometer up and down. Other than that seemed fine. I would turn the vehicle off and be fine the next day.
I would take it to the shop and they couldn't get any codes from it.

Well, now that the weather has warmed up, when the temps reach over 20 degrees Celsius, it is happening every day. I took it to my local mechanic and read the codes today, there was a whole slew of codes.

I talked to someone over at Land Rover in my local city and they told me this has been an issue for the past 3 years (with at least 2 previous owners) and they have even replaced the wiring harness trying to figure it out. But would not give me the whole history of what was replaced. They said that the people at Land Rover in England couldn't even figure it out!

I am hoping someone can help diagnose this issue and hoping it is a simple thing.
So it seems to only happen when it is hot outside or when driven at highway speeds for at least over an hour.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
They may have changed the wiring harness but have they changed the battery to body earth lead or tried an extra earth lead. There is a user on the UK Freel2.com forum who's earth lead had corroded inside the insulation. Try adding an extra earth lead between the battery negative terminal and one of the starter motor mounting bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bossbob!
In February I did replace the battery and the starter, so the battery should be fine.
I am taking it to the mechanic today to replace the Brake Switch (based on what I have read if not working 100% it could cause this). For $50...why not!!

I will ask him to take a look at the earth lead as well to see if it is good as well.

Will keep you posted if either of these things worked or not!

·
Registered
41 Posts
From memory, LRUK didn't sort it out themselves, and visually the earth lead looked fine. When they found that the extra earth had an effect they replaced the standard earth lead. On stripping the insulation from the original faulty lead they found massive corrosion. If your lead has a fault it might become evident as things warm up and expand/soften leading to the fault. A drop in voltage can give all the faults that you describe. I think that new FL2's now have double earth leads fitted as standard.
Here is a link to the original http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8712.html?highlight=extra+earth+strap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took it to my mechanic yesterday as I was getting all sorts of faults.

They took it for a ride and had the code reader on the vehicle while driving. It was throwing all sorts of fault errors (Terrain Response System, HDC, Transmission, Engine, etc.). It threw a transmission fault, but no codes came up on the reader at the same time.
My mechanic is thinking it is a computer issue and specifically the Body Control Module acting up when it is hot.

The only other it really does is the instrument panel goes wacky (needles go up and down) and in first gear, every now and then it gives a jerk (to me it feels like the transmission is not smooth shifting).

Anyone have any issues like this? Will replacing the BCM fix this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the link to a video of what has been happening...yesterday was the worst. While sitting at a train crossing this sequence happened 3 times. Then when I started to drive it would not stop. I pulled over and turned it off for approx. 10 mins. When I started it back up again I get my normal faults. Typically starting with a Terrain Response System Faulty error then a Transmission Fault maybe a few mins later, then maybe a HDC Fault 10 mins after that and once in a blue moon an Engine Fault.

If anyone has any information about what could be causing this it would VERY much appreciated!

http://youtu.be/Sx027dZS-DU

·
Good Ol' Sport
12 Posts
Shannbil, I have nothing to offer in terms of a cause or an explanation but to say that I have had many different electrical gremlins in my '06 Sport. An air suspension fault was blamed on corroded wires under the driver's footwell/sill. Fault continued after wires replaced. Air compressor replaced, fault continues. Rear glass hatch switch would activate on its own unlocking the glass for no apparent reason - stopped when switch was replaced. :cool:

I went to dealer to inquire about remote starting and was advised that this would probably create more issues - they told me another owner installed a remote starter only to have many other electrical problems that were solved by removing the remote starter! :mad:

I still get random suspension faults, usually daily, after driving 5 to 15 miles, and predictably after one certain curve on the same stretch of freeway! I recently had front & rear bushings and front control arms replaced and the faults don't come quite as often... :help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.