Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be driving along and my 1992 RR Classic will just simply stop running. On trying to restart there is white smoke from the tailpipe. It has always restarted and when it does there is sputtering with the white smoke, a little black smoke, then it's fine.

The engine sounds fine... not blowing off any fluids, oil is clean and full (rarity on a 1992). This sounds, smells and feels like either an emissions (catalytic converter?) or fuel mixture issue. Anyone want to chime in?

It did something similar to this a few months ago and replacing the fuel filter did the trick. I'm not sure this is the same thing though. The smoke is what makes me think emissions. Help?

·
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Roverness
955 Posts
How much white smoke? Have you checked your coolant level to see if it's using coolant? Usually white smoke (burning coolant) indicates a coolant leak into the exhaust passages ie: Head Gasket(s). Monitor your coolant level closely and report back. Burning coolant will also kill your cats...so you may not be far off in your "emissions" diagnosis, although it's a symptom, not the root problem.

·
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Roverness
955 Posts
Oh snap...you got me. Never looked at the date...thanks justdriverrc...NOT! You know if you're looking for info for your OWN problem...just ask....jeesh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.