Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for shedding any light towards my way.

Scenario:
2004 Landrover Discovery 2 HSE

Project-Coolant Flush

Yesterday I flushed the system. After hours of googling info/ youtube videos and reading the RAV I am stumped.

So the specs in manual and RAV say the coolant refill
⇒ Refill 24.2 pt
⇒ Fill from dry 26.2 pt

RAV manual instructions:

Fast forward to step 8 (refill)
8. Remove expansion tank from its mounting
bracket. Slowly fill the expansion tank with
coolant, approx. 4 litres (7 pt).

9. Raise the expansion tank approx. 20 cm (8 in)
vertically, coolant will drain into the system.
10. Refill the coolant expansion tank until a steady
flow of coolant is emitted from the bleed hole.

So I have completed what is described. What about the remaining 17.2pts? After pouring 1 gal with overfill tank elevated coolant is already flush with bleed hole. Im trying to add more coolant to reach the 24.2 target as stated with refill specs. Scratching my head here in confusion

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Sounds like you are on track and have educated yourself on the how to..
First question that comes to me is what exactly you did as part of the flush. How did you drain the system?
Unless you removed both engine block plugs, the system is far from empty. Even if you did remove the plugs there will still be some coolant in the bottom of the passages. Don't be stuck on the numbers. If you didn't completely drain it it they will be substantially lower.
Did you catch what you drained out? Can you measure it?
Figuring roughly 2 pints in a quart and a quart is close to a litre that would put you system on refill at aprox. 12 litres ( sounds about right)
What you have described is the method I use to fill / bleed as well. There are lots of opinions but that one works for me.
I fill till there is a steady / no bubbles stream out the bleeder.
Close the bleeder, re secure the expansion tank and run engine at idle.
Verify coolant flow as a steady stream back into the expansion tank (small tube from radiator)
You should be able to now cap the system.
Verify that you have normal heat from the heater and no gurgling/ running water sound behind the dash.
Drive it and monitor temperature.(don't trust the dash gauge it does not tell you anything shy of overheated!
Assuming all is good to this point, let it cool off, remove the expansion tank cap, top off fluid. Reinstall cap. Done..

Hope this helps
Let us know how it goes

· Registered
188 Posts
Unless you removed both engine block plugs, the system is far from empty.
+ one on that and the block doesn't get flushed properly.

Where do people think much of the **** from the cooling system ends up settling? It's not that difficult if you don't mind getting dirty and use a bright light to see what you're doing. Did it twice since getting my D2 about six months ago.

· Registered
188 Posts
How can I get to where I know my 50/50 mixture is really right?

I do not want to (will not) remove the block plugs.
You need to use full strength antifreeze, not 50/50 and use a antifreeze tester to check.

If a soon to be 64 old guy can pull the damn block plugs multiple times don't see what you fear. When your temps are still higher than desired you may reconsider being a bit inconvenienced.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Pulling the block plugs is the best way to go for sure and not a big deal.... Really just a couple of threaded holes in the side of the block coolant passages.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Glycol+Tester&FORM=IRIBEP

Should be able to pick up a cheap tester at pretty much any auto supplier.
As for the full strength coolant ???? Makes no sense
No one can tell you what is in there currently! That includes coolant and crud. not a 24 year old, 46 year old oreven a 64 year old.:wink best to start fresh and clean in my opinion.
Too strong can be just as bad as too weak.
I would top it up with a 50/50 and check it with a tester adjust as required if you are not willing to do it right and pull the plugs from the block

Just my opinion :nerd.

· Registered
188 Posts
Removing top angled hose from thermostat that goes to pump and then bending that hose down as far as possible should help drain more coolant from system/block.

If you've flush/cleaned system with water and add 50/50 mixture you'll obviously never get to 50/50 unless plugs removed. Total capacity of drained system about 3.25 gallons so you'd want to add a bit over 1.5 gallons of 100% and the balance with water.
Cooling system - V8 Engine:
⇒ Refill 24.2 pt
⇒ Fill from dry 26.2 pt

· Registered
188 Posts
Believe 3/8" 8pt pipe plug socket is proper size. 7/16" 12 point socket or box end wrench worked good for me. Should work for most unless it's been previously rounded or using the cheapest wrenches. LH hand is easy using a ratchet and extension. RH side will loosen and final tighten with socket but had to use box wrench to back all way out due to clearance. RH a bitch the first time, cable to starter needs to be held away while wrenching and disconnecting knock sensor plug made it a piece of cake my second time around.

Once my plugs were out removed top hose from manifold water outlet and flushed from there. Used Teflon pipe tape when reinstalling and tightened to less than manual specs.

Helps to raise the vehicle a bit for working down under.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.