Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 SE7; 68,000 miles

Have a mystery engine noise that I'm trying to diagnose.

Symptoms:
rapid, metallic squeaking/chattering
varies with engine speed
present under load / heavy load
disappears at idle / light load

recent work: all drivetrain fluids changed; coolant changed (still using dexcool); plugs and wires changed; air filter changed
engine does not appear to be losing any fluids

any ideas???

cheers:drive:

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Does it happen both hot and cold, have you inspected your front drive shaft, does it has 3 grease fittings, 1 on each u-joint?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93 octane;

original u-joints; visual inspection of DS seems fine, but I'm not sure if I'm looking for something in particular;

sound is engine speed dependent, not vehicle speed dependent. could it still be a DS problem then?

Question: would a leaky head gasket possibly cause this sound? I think I may be losing a little coolant.

EDIT: happens both hot/cold; cannot reproduce sound in neutral or idle; only under load.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Exhaust leak?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Check your belt/tensioner. A worn tensioner, idler, or belt can definitely make the "metallic squeaking/chirping" noise you describe. Check the condition of the belt of cracks and fraying and check to see what kind of give you get when you press your thumb on the belt.

Could be exhaust leak but those generally "tick".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar occurance which turned out to be a generally loose connection between the driver's side exhaust manifold and the Y pipe. I was able to tighten the nuts on the studs a full turn in two cases, and the third was/is snapped off [replacing the stud and gaskets is my next DII adventure]. IIRC, the nut is a 13mm socket size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the advice is much appreciated.

the belt seems in great condition; however I can confirm that I have at least one leaky head gasket (visual confirmation).

I don't know about loose manifold bolts, but I'm sure that when I tear it down to replace the head gaskets I'll make sure all the bolts are tightened to spec. All the gaskets from the head up and all the bolts will be addressed, so hopefully when it's all back together the sound will have gone away.

·
2004 Discovery SE
73 Posts
Front driveshaft noise

Jakked, my bet is on the driveshaft. There is much info in regards to the nasty outcome of not replacing the U-joints with a greasable joints. You state that the U-joints are original with 68,000 miles on her. Do yourself a favor and have the front driveshaft serviced, and your noise will disappear..............................007

1 - 9 of 9 Posts