Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm back

I'm sorry I was laughing because it happen to me to if you install a radio you need a Land Rover code. The dealer want it $ 500.00 for the Radio and instillation, good luck :drink1:

rov'n said:
i installed a new radio and i can hear my ignition through the speakers!!!

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MuddyDisco23 said:
definitely bad ground

well not to rain on your parade...but i checked the ground and even relocated didnt help, installed 2 filters one for the front amplification system and one for the rear amplification system and no more noise!

stereo rocks the house!

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
You should do a few more things....

rov'n said:
well not to rain on your parade...but i checked the ground and even relocated didnt help, installed 2 filters one for the front amplification system and one for the rear amplification system and no more noise!

stereo rocks the house!
Check your electrical connections,

make sure your battery is up to snuff with the new electrical toys,

is your stock alternator up to the task? You will need to charge your battery and play your amps at the same time when you are driving.

and try to snuff that noise at the source rather than at the amplifiers. You do have EMI supression wires on your ignition system right? (Yeh, right, grin).

BTW, flexible tin-covered copper straps to the hood and chassis grounds do a lot to suppress radiated Electromagnetic Interference.

Adam in NYC.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adam in NYC USA said:
Check your electrical connections,

make sure your battery is up to snuff with the new electrical toys,

is your stock alternator up to the task? You will need to charge your battery and play your amps at the same time when you are driving.

and try to snuff that noise at the source rather than at the amplifiers. You do have EMI supression wires on your ignition system right? (Yeh, right, grin).

BTW, flexible tin-covered copper straps to the hood and chassis grounds do a lot to suppress radiated Electromagnetic Interference.

Adam in NYC.

all of the connections are made via wiring harness, didnt have to splice into anything. load on the alternator is just fine, running a capacitor to the sub amplifier in back.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Okay.....

rov'n said:
all of the connections are made via wiring harness, didnt have to splice into anything. load on the alternator is just fine, running a capacitor to the sub amplifier in back.
What was the voltage drop across the battery when you engage the wiring harness? BTW, when that capacitor discharges, it has to get that electrical energy from somewhere, like the battery and the alternator.

You might want to see if your new gadgets are not causing excessive voltage drop, which can cause additional ignition noise on the power rail. Not to mention that you will drawing additional power from charging system, causing them to work harder and heat up more.

Measure your voltage.

Start the car.

Let the idle do its thing and kick down.

Measure your voltage.

Play something loud and continous without using any of the headlighting.

Measure your voltage.

Turn on all your gadgets including your lighting.

Measure your voltage.

Nothing looks dim or sounds distorted? Then you did a good job. If it does the same in the dead of winter, you did a great job.

Adam in NYC:clap:

· Banned
907 Posts
rov'n said:

stereo rocks the house!
Again.....It's a bad ground in your system somewhere. Does not have to be at the radio - it could be anywhere. Amp, battery, engine, etc...

Are you sure your constant 12v is not the 12v lead to your ignition, or something stupid like that?

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adam in NYC USA said:
What was the voltage drop across the battery when you engage the wiring harness? BTW, when that capacitor discharges, it has to get that electrical energy from somewhere, like the battery and the alternator.

You might want to see if your new gadgets are not causing excessive voltage drop, which can cause additional ignition noise on the power rail. Not to mention that you will drawing additional power from charging system, causing them to work harder and heat up more.

Measure your voltage.

Start the car.

Let the idle do its thing and kick down.

Measure your voltage.

Play something loud and continous without using any of the headlighting.

Measure your voltage.

Turn on all your gadgets including your lighting.

Measure your voltage.

Nothing looks dim or sounds distorted? Then you did a good job. If it does the same in the dead of winter, you did a great job.

Adam in NYC:clap:

everything checks out ok, the stereo made noise just as soon as i hooked up the new deck without any load at all, the stock radio did not make that noise. nothing is dim or distorted, started it up in 20 degree weather and no problems. its all good from here!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.