Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll try to explain this best I can...

I have been having a problem while driving @ high speed (60-70 mph) and @ 2000-2250 RPM where there is a "shimmy" and a hesitation w/ the engine. In unrelated matters, I have replaced a code faulted o2 sensor, MAF (not new), fuel pump, fuel filter, and spark plugs. When I actually started to want to fix this problem I went after the vehicle speed sensor (improved the drive of the car drastically, but didn't fix the hesitation) and the spark plug wires. No dice. Took it to a mechanic where they suggested a valve job b/c of a P0300 code fault, which I'm completely uninterested in, I can live w/ the hesitation for $2500. I could go after the U-joints, but I really don't think that is the problem. Coil packs next? ANY suggestions that don't involve the two words "valve job" would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to work on my car and have a shop manual, so I'm only buying parts.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Tps

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
cskone said:
TPS?? what is that...do I need a cover letter for it?!
Throttle Position Sensor, have you checked that? Replaced it?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
BSWE87 said:
VSS.

Check out discoweb.org for more information. This appearing more common on the forums.
I think he already checked the VSS (another thread) and screw Dweb :wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checking the VSS will also means checking the input signal and wiring. My wires are exposed to the heat from the exhaust and I think should be protected better. Also, I think the transfer case, if the oil is low, may generate enough heat to possibly skew the input signal.
Thre are plenty of LR forums, and Landroversonly.com is one of the best places for information. Landroverworld.org is another and Discoweb also has plenty of tips. Best to check multiple sources...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vss

I'll look @ the wires for the VSS, but I'm pretty sure they are all right. There was a dramatic change in the drivability of the truck after the VSS...I had the herky-jerky thing going when I took my foot off of the pedal, and now that is gone, it idles much better, and the tranmission shifts are incredibly smoother. However, the vibration thing remains, but ONLY from 2000-2250 RPM. It usually happens while going up hill in 4th gear (auto), but I've had it happen during a steep climb in 2nd too. I'm not against trying anything, b/c I basically didn't pay attention to my car the first 3 years I owned it (still very bitter about the years I spent on the '71 bronco that just kept falling apart), so anything fixed can only help the car...

What is this seafoam stuff?? it goes in the engine, crankcase and where?? Intake vaccuum line throttle body??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my VSS replaced today. The old one has the part number AMR 1253. The new number is YBE100540.

The mechanic said that when he unbolted the sensor, it fell apart.

I saved it for information purposes.

The rover ran smooooth...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...

Ok, I decided to do more things...

1. replace the fuel filter again b/c when I did that a few months back, the hesitation stopped for a little while

2. do the seafoam thing-
when I took off the hose on the valve cover to put it in and it was coated w/ carbon crab. After a half hour of cleaning that hose out and the other one on the other valve cover I went to pour the seafoam stuff in. Tons of smoke, will updated tomorrow when I hit up the freeway on the way to work.

only poured in 1/3 of the can into the intake, 2/3 into the gas tank. For how much crap I had in those two hoses I think I'm going to pour 2/3 of a can into it tomorrow to clean it out a little more...should I do this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.