Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: : Been reading all your threads,very informative. I have a 97 disco1,dark green/tan,72m,ome medium springs/shocks,bilstein steering damper,recently replaced the rear ball joint {highly recommend looking at yours,if smashed flat replace,you won't believe the difference.Have original michelins {235/70/16} with alot of tread left but thinking how big can I go! The mich ride is hard to beat!I've had my green machine for 4 yrs and love it. Always flush the engine when changing oil {10w/30,thinking of going syntec 5/50?}changed trnny filter and fluid,both diff's.Just put a k&n and tornado {bgt on e-bay! $36}we'll see if any improvement.Just replaced radiator hose's and heater hose.Flushed the radiator,didn't replace thermo because the car never overheats.Thinking about a pcv hose hit.Do as much work myself.Just fixed my rear window armiture {the nylon roller broke,so I cut a piece of hard plastic!greased it and fit it into the slide arm!{bet it never breaks again!}I did f-up the lock,the solenoid is good but the lock keeps popping back up when I use my remote key! oh-well!Starting to hear my steering pump's bearing but no leaks yet.Anyway,this is my hello!!!!!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks as if you have a handle on keeping the beast running. I am a little jealous about the power steering... no leaks???

How are you supposed to keep the under carriage rust protected if you dont have tanny/ power steering fluid spraying all over it. LOL

I have changed out the gear box twice because of the lower seal leaking.

Best of luck with the truck. Let me know if you can tell a difference with the tornado thing. I have a K&N filter but did not want to spend anymore money pumping air because the GEMS system is said to cancel any improvements you make... Keep us informed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hey guys

Serg,love that truck! yumello! looks like the camel series lr put together a number of years ago.Texas,yeah I think I'm lucking out so far with the power steering!{for now!}When I fill the tank {to the click} and run it half way I'm logging 158 miles,so that's what? 13.5 mpg.I'm loving it.I put the the tornado nearest to the throttle body which might have made a diff.{they tell you to install after the filter box}.You can get one on e-bay for $36 but I'm not convinced yet! {although the combo of the k&n plus tornado increased my rpms's} That is,they rev quicker,just more air. Ok someone answer something simple,I put the window back together but the frickin door lock keeps popping back up! I tried a different solenoid and it did the same thing! Oh yeah,another miami guy :buttrock: I also have a cb with a 3' freightliner antenna on my yakima pipe racks but haven't been able to talk to anyone! Need to learn spanish!!But it's fun so far!

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Hola!, como esta :wave: (my Angelo phonetic redition of a common Hispanic greeting)

no habla espanol?

You'll need it down there. Make sure you check out the Cuban coffee :beer: it's good for a quick caffine buzz! Oh, and the pressed Cuban sandwichs...blackbeans & rice, plantain tostones...hmmm must be about lunch time... :shifty:

·
4,576 Posts
Haha, I'm in my lunch break now...GOTTA love the Pan Con Bistec ( c is silent in Cuabn spanish..lol...thats a pressed Sandwich with Steak, Tomatoes, the Potatoe sticks, lettuce, some cookes onions, and I like mayo in there )

·
Registered
490 Posts
rjlsierra,

If those OME springs pick the rig up a little (2" minimun) you can get away with 235-85-16. I have a 2 inch lift with those tires... I love it when I pull up next to stock Disco... they look pretty short now. I ran into one problem, the rear fender behind the tire touched with a good bump. I fixed that... I hit a really good bump and bent it right out of the way. Has not rubbed since. The best thing is it bent it back and in, you can not even tell, it was by accident. All is well!

Your mileage is right on. I hear there is a Superchip for these discos for around 500.00. One piece of advice, make sure you have someone that can flash that ECU after you unhook it. Apparently, the security set up locks things up... so I hear!

These guys may have more info on that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info

hey tex,thanks,that's the tire size I'll try next.I checked on those chips and decided I'm not f-in with it! Hey,it's a rover! 188hp,mileage {right now} is as good as it'll get.I'd like to find a skid plate but I can't see spending the $ for something that looks easy enough to fabricate myself! Also looking for a 50x50 roof rack to put on my crossbars {atlantic has them for 200} Hey 0010,yes I've been to versaille,can't give any advice on cv joints but don't they except grease {take apart,clean,grease,if nothings crunched! put back}or are they oiled by the diff fluid?antway,I'm still trying to figure out why my door lock keeps popping back up!!! Can't feel any springs in the linkage.Oh well,talk later :buttrock:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have an intermittent issue with the door locks too. It seems to be something with the driver's door, which controls them all, as you know.

It comes and goes. I gave up on it, as I just lock with the key when it acts up. I am starting to think I have a ground issue somewhere though, as I have an intermittent front sunroof issue too. Also, once the a/c, windows, radio and tranny went out (was making horrible screach when try to put into park from drive).

Anyway, I'll get it squared away eventually.

Later,

Kieran

p.s. Gas prices stink! 2.55 per gallon here in Central PA!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.