Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is George and i got a major problem.

I was wondering about my timeing on my 1995 discovery timeing. Well here is what i did to see if my timeing was off, i took off plug wires to the cylinders of 2,4,6,8 and the vehicle still ran and if i put the those plug wires on agian while it is running it does not make any difference??? why, is my timeing off and if i put only those cylinders on like for example 2,4,6,8 and it will not start. but if i leave the 1,3,5,7 cylinders on it starts up, i think my timeing has jumped can anyone help me with this, just trying to make sure before i go an get into this.

Thanks George :beer:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I gather that the reason you think that your timing is off is because you have lack of power? I think you may have a compression problem, or perhaps an injector not working properly. Pulling the plugs is not the way to check timing. You should use a timing light. Now to your question. When you leave the leads connected to 1,3,5,7 and the engine start, but not when 2,4,6,8 are connected, indicates that there is probably a compression or injector problem on that bank. Do a compression check. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The actual psi reading is a little lower if the engine is cold. More important is that the PSI reading is not much more than 10% between each cylinder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi disco just got doing the compression check on all cylinders and they are 2-175psi 4-175 psi 6-175 psi 8-175psi 1-170 psi 3-170 psi 5 170 psi and 7 165 psi, they all seem good to me, do you have any idea what could be next. the injectors are brand new and i jusy ordered a new pair to be sure. or can it be timing? thanks agian

george

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well Disco i think i have found the problem lol i think i did, someone who had this vehicle before changed the distributor and put it in wrong, i think it has to be that the distirbutor is in wrong, the reason i say that is because the fireing order was off by one and when you let cylinder number one go to the top about when it is ready to fire and take off to see wear the rotor is at, it is on number 2 ??????? this is way wrong it should be pionting to number one on the fireing order. i hope you understand what i have just said and the injectors are brand new and the coil is brand new allso. the whole fuel system and sensors are new allso. all factory. if you have anymore ideas please let me know and thank you for everything so far and i can not wait to get this done so i can focus on the other things i want to do to this rover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.