Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently purchased a '97 Discovery and I had questions on the subject. I want to add larger tires of course, and it had occured to me the wheel area was insufficient to house a larger tire. I plan on putting a 3 inch suspension lift and just a 3 inch suspension lift. I wanted to know if a 265/75r16 tire would fit cleanly, without rubbing or getting stuck into the wheel well area? I know people have commented on trimming the fender area, can this wheel fit in nicely without any trimming? The rims I plan on using have a 0 off-set and I just was curious to what your experiences were with this vehicle? Also I have seen on the internet some Discovery series I having the flares of a Series II, is there an aftermarket set-up for the Discovery I or was that a custom job, if so how did they aproach the problem of trimming the door area? That is a major concern because it has the outter seal, is it possible to put in Discovery series II doors in its place as to make sure the flares fit in seemlessly?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey rov'n 235/85 is roughly about 31.7x9.25, hey LRR219 would 265/75 rub or get stuck when it the tire tucks in from articulating? Sorry, I'm new to rovers, and any answer to my queries would better let met understand this truck.

· Registered
294 Posts
MathewBGoode said:
hey rov'n 235/85 is roughly about 31.7x9.25, hey LRR219 would 265/75 rub or get stuck when it the tire tucks in from articulating? Sorry, I'm new to rovers, and any answer to my queries would better let met understand this truck.
THE REAR QUARTER PANELS KINDA BEND IN A TAD BUT IT LOOKS ALMOST LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY! BUT NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! VERY VERY MINOR!

· Registered
138 Posts
I have seen 265's on D2's, but on older Discoverys' the wheel openings are not that large. I have seen 265's on modified Discoverys (D1's), but with 2-1/2" of lift I fit a 245/75/16 nicely. It no longer rubs the back of the rear fender, and when it did, it "formed" it into place quite well. (I installed my first 245's when I still had the original springs on). Now with OME HD springs it never makes contact. Keep a close eye on your driveshafts, especially if you still have a Roto-flex coupling on the rear, as it does not take kindly to much lift & will eventually self-destruct. Good Day, LRW

· Registered
294 Posts
You Are Totally Right, I M Sorry The Only Disco 1's I Have Seen With 265's Have Been Lifted With The Old Man Emu Suspension! Sorry I Totally Forgot! Lift It Then Put 265's, Sorry Sorry Sorry! :d

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I take it the 265/75r16 will not fit with just a 3 inch lift? I really havent recieved a straight answer, but thank you for sharing your info. Even though they are wider they are about the same height as your 235/85. I just want to know if they do or dont fit in nicely without getting stuck in the wheel wells when it articulates. Thank you all for your replies.

· Registered
138 Posts
After I change my brake lines and get a different front driveshaft I would like to put an inch or so of spacer under my springs. I think I may try a 265 on my next set of tires, if they will fit. Please, keep us posted. :dunno: LRW

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering if there is anybody out there who can give us info regarding the fitment of a 265/75r16 tires, Whether it can fit and tuck into the truck and not get stuck in the wheel well or rub without having to trim the fender? Thanks to those who gave their input.

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Matt

I put the exact size 265-75-16 on my 2001 disco II without any rubbing at all. I should mention I have the Old Man Emu 3" lift and ARB front bumper. I did not have to trim at all. Sometimes with the wheel fully turned and hitting a bump at the same time, I would get a slight rub. Nothing that needs to be trimmed.

· Registered
14 Posts
I think that you would be allright with a true three inch lift and 265/75/16's

I have a 3" Big Blue Springs, a true heavy duty lift kit and about 2"5/8's actual height over stock. I run 245/75/16 BFG Mudders, and the next set will probably be 265's or 235/85/16. Your rear axel will articulate forward and backward though. You will have to trim the rear quarters about a half inch. A dremmel tool works great with a grinder blade.
http://pics.montypics.com/scrhodes/2005-04-23/1114304348_dscf0197.jpg

· Registered
98 Posts
I have 265's on a '95 D1. They will rub a lot on a stock suspension. They will rub some under wheel tuck senarios even with a 3" lift. Trimming of the rear fender is required to eliminate rubbing completely.

They will fit fine on a stock D2 with minimul issues, but will rub some under heavy loading and wheel tuck situations.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
greengrezz said:
I put the exact size 265-75-16 on my 2001 disco II without any rubbing at all. I should mention I have the Old Man Emu 3" lift and ARB front bumper. I did not have to trim at all. Sometimes with the wheel fully turned and hitting a bump at the same time, I would get a slight rub. Nothing that needs to be trimmed.
Yes, a Disco II will easily run 265's with little to no rubbing w/ OME suspension. The issue is not the wells so much as the stock bumpers, which hang far too low. A good aftermarket front bumper will keep you free of the rub. The real problem with running larger tires on Disco II is the stock rear bumper. Assuming you are going to take your Disco off the road, that rear bumper will tend to hang you up & the quarter pannels will tend to get eaten up by rocks. Check out some aftermarket rear bumpers. Safarigard & Trek make good ones for Disco's, as do many local custom shops.

When you say OME 3" lift, what do you mean? Are you using spacers w/ the OME springs?

· Registered
9 Posts
I run 265s with a 2inch suspention lift and a 2inch body lift I trimmed the rear gards and put a trim on it to keep it neat , I also took of the bottom flaring on the front bumper and then trimmed the side flaringing to. Im putting on 285s next !!! i lot of gard cutting to be done. Will keep all posted. :buttrock:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.