Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving with no jack in my DI for a long time, since the original didn't come with it when I got the truck. I've decided to get a hi-lift jack, and I need a good place to mount it.

Awhile back, I remember seeing a site that sold a hi-lift mount that put the jack above the spare tire in the rear (not through the center of the spare like the SG mount). I've been trying to find it again for hours, with no luck. Does anyone here know where I could find this elusive item? Thanks.

· Premium Member
1,144 Posts
do you have a lift, upgraded bumper, and/or rock sliders? if you dont, just get a regular bottle jack. the hi-lift would just break through the plastic door sills. the bumper attachment may work at the front with the valence removed. the rear is fine with the hitch as the jack point althought not the most sturdy place.

4,346 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
I've been driving with no jack in my DI for a long time, since the original didn't come with it when I got the truck. I've decided to get a hi-lift jack, and I need a good place to mount it.

Awhile back, I remember seeing a site that sold a hi-lift mount that put the jack above the spare tire in the rear (not through the center of the spare like the SG mount). I've been trying to find it again for hours, with no luck. Does anyone here know where I could find this elusive item? Thanks.
Hmmm..I was just looking through my Atlantic British Catalog and its in there but they must have taken it off their site because when I type the part number it wont come up. call AB and speak to lester, he's a real nice guy and should be able to help ya with that. Tell him you are looking for the JackRack for a Steel Wheel... P/N: TR34

Besides that, you can always mount it on your stock roof rack using U-bolts...

If you go that route, you'll have to make sure you throw a 1/2 wrench into the glove box

4,346 Posts
llersa brings up a good point I forgot to mention...

notice my sills, I used a dremel tool to cut them. I used to have the cut out pieces with homemade hinges and pins so I could open them with I need to lift and close/lock them when they were not in use. The setup wasnt strong enough and when driving through thick mud, I lost two of the pieces. But the point is, that if you cut your sills like I did, yo ushould be all right. I know the cuts were 2" wide but I forgot how far from the ends I made the cuts. If you look behind your sills, you'll see there's a solid lift point. When you place your Hilift for lift, you dont have to worry about the hilift damaginf your doors either because on the D1, the moulding on the side protects the door.

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already checked out my jack points using a friend's hi-lift (he's a Jeeper, but he's ok), and it'll work fine. Plus, rock sliders are next on my shopping list. I don't want to put it on the roof because I already have a bunch of lights on the stock rack that would be in the way, and I don't plan on buying a basket rack.

JC, do you have any pics of the item you're referring to?

4,346 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
I already checked out my jack points using a friend's hi-lift (he's a Jeeper, but he's ok), and it'll work fine. Plus, rock sliders are next on my shopping list. I don't want to put it on the roof because I already have a bunch of lights on the stock rack that would be in the way, and I don't plan on buying a basket rack.

JC, do you have any pics of the item you're referring to?
I hear ya man. And actually, I took mine off my roof because of the friggin sound it makes when im going 80. Im thinkin about the SpareTire mount as well, and coincidentally, the same one they arent offering anymore..lol..now I cant even find a picture within Google, I think it was an AB thing only

· Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was a site other than Atlantic British I saw selling it before. It wasn't a well-designed page, and hi-lift stuff is all I remember them selling. I hate when I can't remember something :p

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
This is what I did. I don't carry many people in the back seats, but when I do I can just take it out. Works great and no rattling! I just went to the local Home Depot and bought some flat pieces of metal made some brackets, picked up some nuts/bolts and some washers and wing nuts so it can easily be taken out.

· Registered
128 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
The beam and handle fit under the rear seat. The mechanism and base can go in your gearbag in the back. Mine goes on the top of the ARB on 2 Disco engine mounts.

· Registered
64 Posts
Adding to this topic. What about attaching it to the ladder. My ladder is made with one inch bars. I thought about this the other evening. Please hit me with the pro's and con's. I hope I am not jacking the thread. If I am sorry. Thought it would boost some ideas.

2,687 Posts
Badger1 said:
I have read some negative stuff about mounting a Hi Lift to the rear door. Something about the extra weight bending the hinges. Anyone have anything like that happen to them? I would have liked to have mounted the jack to the spare but didn't want to risk any bent hinges.
I've heard that too, but have yet to see it.. The only negative impact I've really seen about mounting a highlift externally is it's prone to rust very fast.. which is a problem for us out here on the east coast.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I have never been a fan of Hi-lift jacks. They do look macho, so I suppose this is the reason they are popular although they are dangerous to use unless one has experience in using them. finding a place to stow it is another annoying issue. I use an exhaust jack. It's also user friendly for your wife or girlfriend if they get a flat. Check it out http://www.karajan.com/barter/barter21.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.