Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series IIA with transmission/transfer case problems and am rebuilding both. I was considering installing an Ashcroft high-ratio transfer case and am not sure if that is a good idea. Most of my driving is around town and my off-roading is mostly when I go hunting or fishing 15-20 times a year. Can anyone offer some advice on whether my 2.25 will suffer or be relieved?

· Registered
641 Posts
There are many vairables that could affect your performance using a high ratio box. Is your truck standard? If so than a high ratio box will be about the same as running with an overdrive engaged all the time. It will take a bit more revs to get you going but your cruising rpm's will be a bit lower. If you have larger tires your engine may have to work harder to maintain speed. Personally I'd rather have an overdrive than a high ratio box because it will allow you to have the same effect as a high ratio box with the added benefit of keeping the stock ratios as well. If your 2.25 is in good condition there probably won't be any adverse effect on it. It will just have to work a bit harder in high load situations like uphills or towing. You can get new overdrive units from wise owl or find a fairey or similar unit from another rover. As far as I know the ashcroft transfer box keeps the stock low gear ratios so off road performance shouldn't be affected at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.