Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the Ford 4.0 V6 engine holding up?
Any issues or repairs?
At what milage are you up to?
Are you using premium or regular?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 4.0 with 95,000 on it and am very happy with the car. I run regular gas and expensive oil (Royal Purple), changing all drivetrain fluids regularly.

I stay on top of the maintenance and haven't had any major repairs (brakes, parking brake out of adjustment, front wheel bearing, pulley/tensioner/serpentine, etc). I had a whine and small leak from one of the front diff seals but no rust, sludge or metal in the oil. I experimented with different oils and weights and have settled on Lucas Oil 85W 140 for my diffs. Along with the updated breather cap, the diff seems happy for my application.

I bought the car used and had my choice between a 4.0 and 4.4 on the car lot. Here's my pitch for the 4.0:
- I don't tow anything heavier than the motorcycle so the power is fine for my needs (on road and mild off road)
- Still has the 7 seats and cold climate package. No HD option, unfortunately.
- It's a Ford engine so it's within the scope of my repair abilities and tool collection... And I can source engine parts at any local parts store, in about any North American town.
- Lower power and weight (~100 lbs) reduces wear on the car. I don't have any evidence to back it up but it sounds practical that a torque reduction would be kinder on the drivetrain and less weight would eat fewer tires, ARB and control arm bushes.
- Even if the MPG is only 1 better than a V8, that's still 7% savings at 14MPG. Would you accept a 7% cash back gas card?
- The 4.0 is happy on regular gas. I did a roadtrip that took me across Canada and the US. Premium gas isn't always available and it goes bad at remote gas stations where no one buys it.

Nothing against anyone else's car or personal interests; this is just what fits my application. Thanks everyone for all the great info, tips, and perspectives posted on this forum.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Glad to hear.
Thanks guys for the info on the V6
Couple of questions.
Do all the Base or SE have 2nd row which folds fully flat on the V6's? Some look similar to how the RRSport seats fold and its not fully flat.
How long have you had it?
How is it driving in mountains with AC on and full of people or stuff?
Can you give me some pointers on the V6 and what have you done to it, or quirkyness of the V6.
What should I check on it?
I am thinking of getting a V6 as a second LR to keep in SoCal (for surfing and camping trips) and keeping my V8 in NY.
Thanks,
Dave

Wanted to share some info on the Ford 4.0 V6:
if you hear a chirping sound it can be the Crank Shaft Pulley/Harmonic Balancer that is worn and needs to be replaced. It might seem like it's the belts, but it's not. This is one of those things that if not taken care of in time it can cause damage to the engine. So you should have it checked for wear.

Also if having starting issues with V6 they are well discussed here:
http://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/help-06-lr3-wont-start-again-36964/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave,

I've had mine a couple years now. I have been through the Appalachians and Rockies with it and had no problems with the 4.0 V6 even with the a/c going and loaded with camping gear. Again, I haven't towed anything heavier than a motorcycle so it's been good for my application. I recently put 265/65/18 Duratracs on the truck and it still drives fine through the mountains, even with the larger tires.

I don't know if all have 2nd row seats that fold flat but mine do and it's very practical.

I also don't know about any quirks with the V6. Some Ford forums mentioned potential issues with the timing chain but I haven't had any issues so far. The car has the same suspension, diff and electronics as the V8. So in that vein, I'm sure the motor (V6 or V8) isn't going to be the primary fault with the car.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the chance to drive the V6, It seemed fine on highway. It just has no power when you use the sport mode compared to my V8. This is the only thing I would not bother using on a V6. Besides that the V6 drives fine.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.