Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the shifter goes from high Neutral low. To lock it into all wheel lock do I have to move the shifter to the left after it's in low or high. It doesn't want to move to the left. Again i have no Owners manual. thanks, Jerry

·
4,576 Posts
Like Gentrys said, Discos are Full-Time AWD, for normal road driving you want to keep it in High, when you think you're going to need more power at a lower RPM range to get through mud or heavy off raod situations, you'll want to move the lever up to Low...on mine the lever is really stiff and you need to put some muscle power to get it to move up and into the locked position. Make sure you feel a click. ALso, make sure this is done while having the main gear selector in Neutral. There are no left movements on the Diff-Lock lever.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you move the lever to the left it will lock your differentials (on D1).. do not drive on pavement with the diff locked...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jerry, think of the diff lock lever with a 4-speed "H" shift pattern, 1st gear position is LOW-LOCK, 2nd is HI-Lock, 3rd is LOW-UNLOCK and 4th is HIGH-UNLOCK ...... hope this helps, the little diagram that LR sticks to the trim panel can be a little misleading -Andy

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
AkRover, we will be getting the Ashcroft CDL kit for the DIIs and they will be around $525. Our shipment arrives on 4/6/05.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Jerry:
Try calling www.roversland.com

They have lots of new/used parts and manuals for all Land rover models.
If the don't have your specific year, then try

www.books4cars.com

They have NEW genuine owners manuals for virtually all Land rover models even with their leather binder, other makes too
...(I should try contacting these businesses for some extra cash commission on advertisements among members and Land rover owners :D )...

Carlos

·
Registered
138 Posts
96discose7 is correct

Jerry, follow the directions given by 96discose7. Your transmission must be in neutral when you move your transfer case lever, and your transfer case lever must also be in neutral to move left into diff-lock. Do not do this while travelling at any speed beyond 0 - 5 mph, as per the sticker on the front of the console. Good luck, LRW

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the same problem. I just bought a 98 discolast week. The original owner never used the high/low or the diff lock. The high/low works fine but the shift lever wont go left to engage the diff lock. I sprayed the linkage from the underside, and tried to move the lever from below to no avail. I am going to have to remove the center console, take the top off the transfer case, and find out what is stuck.

Good luck on yours. P.s., here is a link for pdf files of all land rover transfer cases: http://www.landrover.ee/est/varia/downloads/gearbox.htm

Kieran

·
4,576 Posts
HOLY HEK...My mistake...there are left movements...after readin the posts, i went to verify in the manual and dang...i had no clue!...so those times i was stuck in mud i could have locked the diff and gotten out quicker than with Low gears in...Geeeze...LOL...learn something everyday

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
It's not really an "H" pattern... top right is LOW, bottom right is HIGH... in either of those all you need to do is push the lever to the left to lock the diffs.. there is no "1st" or "2nd" gear in the diff lock mode.. per se... look at the owner's manual as it will state this as well...

Serg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.