Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I blew the head gaskets on my 2001 Disco II about a year and a half ago, and picked up a 2008 LR2. The Disco II had about 130k miles on it. The LR2 has 90k, but while it's been pretty reliable, it's not particularly fun, and I find the chairs uncomfortable. I'm considering ditching it.

I live in the Northwest, and ran across this:

2003 RANGE ROVER HSE 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2006 SPORT DISCOVERY SE

It's a gorgeous-looking 2003 RR, and while it appears to be in great shape, it does have 131k miles on it. I figure the price is also probably about $500-$700 too high.

But anyway, the reason I'm asking is to see what other 2003 RR owners thoughts are, as to if that one should even be considered. I've heard a lot of mixed reports on 2003, with some people saying they'll cost $2000+ per year to maintain, and others saying they're pretty reliable.

Has anyone here owned both a Disco II and a BMW-based RR? How do they compare for maintenance troubles? Up until the head gaskets, the Disco II never had any show-stopping mechanical issues, but there was never a time during my ownership of it that everything worked. But it was sure fun!

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice!!

1,855 Posts
I would not do it! not with the BMW engine, unless I was a BMW mechanic.
an LR3 is more reliable.
Dave

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
It does appear to be in really good condition. The only way I would even consider it is if it had every single maintenance receipt from new and work was done at a dealer or independent LR shop. That way you'll be able to see if it was one of the good ones or has had a gazillion things repaired or replaced. Since it is a dealer selling the car I doubt you'll find the records. IF thats the case, then walk away.

Despite what people will say, there are good Land Rovers out there that won't cost thousands to keep on the road. I bought a first year LR3 used with all service records from day one that was bought new, serviced, and sold used by the same LR dealership. I was able to make an informed purchase and it ended up being a great, problem free vehicle for us.

Regardless of the LR model or year you buy, save yourself some heartache and pay the couple hundred dollars to have a full inspection done on it to know what you're getting into. Better to pay $200 to find out about a $2,000 problem than to save the $200 and be surprised after the purchase. Then you'll be kicking yourself thinking that $200 looks pretty good right about now.

Colin

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was definitely planning on doing a pre-purchase inspection. I did for the LR2 and it was worth it.

The 2003's are really that bad? Is that a result of all the BMW-isms, or simply age/mileage? Are the 2003's vastly more expensive to do stuff on as compared to 2002 and below and 2006+?

Whatever the case may be, while I understand that there's no such thing as a completely worry-free LR, I agree with Colin that there isn't necessarily any reason that a well-maintained one would be any more problematic than any other vehicle. I didn't think the Disco II's issues were unreasonable. That being said, what would be an ideal used Range Rover to look out for, to use as a daily driver? A 2006 with the Jag engine? I'm not afraid to tinker, but I also don't currently have a garage...

Thanks in advance, as always!

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
I think the big reason '03s are more problematic is its the first year of the body style. I've always heard the first model year of a new car typically has the most problems. Then as the years go on they make improvements to the problem areas.

If I was buying a Range Rover, I'd buy a 2007+. They made a lot of changes in '07, but the biggest one to me is the addition of the Terrain Response System from the LR3. As I said before, I had an LR3 and the Terrain Response was awesome. The LR3 is the reason why nearly every 4wd SUV/CUV today has some version of it.

The biggest reason for wanting all the maintenance records on these vehicles is so you can see if there is a pattern of problems. For instance, has the vehicle been taken to the dealership with a complaint of electrical problems every other month? Does it have air suspension problems that the dealership hasn't been able to fix in the last 7 trips to the service department? Has it been towed to the dealership 14 times because the battery keeps dying due to some electrical drain no one can find? These are the things a PPI isn't going to necessarily turn up. The vehicle could be a service nightmare but at certain points in time (like when you test drive it and fall in love with it) it drives like a dream and shows no problems.

Colin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.