Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 08 LR2 SE and currently running 5w30 Castrol edge synthetic. I'm at 170k now and wanted to know if I would benefit switching to Castrol gtx HIGH MILEAGE blend.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
Are you having any oil consumption issues?
Assuming you are talking kilometres and not miles.
if you have been properly maintaining your truck there are likely few benefits to the switch
You’re currently running a full synthetic oil - a “ blend” would actually be a downgrade as blended oils are typically conventional oil with synthetic additives

·
very disco
2,052 Posts
Agree. If you’re burning oil, switching to a blend can slow that down... if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you having any oil consumption issues?
Assuming you are talking kilometres and not miles.
if you have been properly maintaining your truck there are likely few benefits to the switch
You’re currently running a full synthetic oil - a “ blend” would actually be a downgrade as blended oils are typically conventional oil with synthetic additives
No no issues yet, only ticking sound when I first start my car in the cold (living in Toronto) I'm maintaining the rover well. I just did my accessory drive belt, tensioner and pulley.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just thought after reading online that switching to high mileage can prevent problems down the road...

·
very disco
2,052 Posts
Which “problems down the road” do you hope to stave off by switching oil?

·
Registered
40 Posts
High quality oil labeled as "High Mileage" contains additives that aid in keeping seals from breaking down. They also put more cleaning additives in to break down gunk build up. Using that kind of oil can be beneficial even for low mileage engines.
You don't want to change the viscosity of your oil from what the manufacturer says, unless you really know what you're doing and have a good reason. But, it never hurts to put verified higher quality oil in your engine.

I have an '03 Disco that I use full synthetic, high mileage oil in. I would recommend anyone to use that grade of oil if they can afford it and don't have a specific reason not too.

There's plenty of testing videos on the YouTubes about the benefits of high mileage oil if you want to spend an hour looking into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High quality oil labeled as "High Mileage" contains additives that aid in keeping seals from breaking down. They also put more cleaning additives in to break down gunk build up. Using that kind of oil can be beneficial even for low mileage engines.
You don't want to change the viscosity of your oil from what the manufacturer says, unless you really know what you're doing and have a good reason. But, it never hurts to put verified higher quality oil in your engine.

I have an '03 Disco that I use full synthetic, high mileage oil in. I would recommend anyone to use that grade of oil if they can afford it and don't have a specific reason not too.

There's plenty of testing videos on the YouTubes about the benefits of high mileage oil if you want to spend an hour looking into it.
Mobil 1 has full synthetic High mileage.

·
very disco
2,052 Posts
The way I look at it is this:

any additives present in high mileage oils provide benefits x y and z. Benefits x y and z are applicable to low, medium, and high mileage vehicles transitively.

a high quality oil should offer any/all benefits available, blurring the distinction between a high quality oil and a high quality “high mileage”oil.

I doubt those of us with low mileage vehicles don’t want any added benefits just because we “don’t need them.”

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
Timing chain and guides ever been done?

I agree that there may be some seal conditioning additives but they are in no way a fix for age, wear and tear etc.
cant beat synthetic oils.
Hi mileage synthetic-sure can’t hurt
Blend is a step down from what you’re currently

Reactions: ExodoPlex

·
very disco
2,052 Posts
I also believe that synthetic oil burns easier than conventional oil. This is the main reason folks transition to blends, to combat the oil contamination (instead of making repairs).

it’s unfortunate that our world is more focused on treating symptoms than causes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts