Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have a 97' Disco. When I'm at cruise speed (70's on interstate). I sometimes get a momentary stall for a brief second. This may only occur once during a 4 hour trip (which I do often) today it seemed more pronounced and would stall, run, stall, run, stall, run (almost bucking) but went away. It doesn't occur at low speed and isn't associated with any kind of acceleration or power demand.

Any help to get me looking would be great,
B.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hmmmm. The symptoms you describe could be caused by a variety of things. Check the following:-
Vacuum leak, restricted fuel (clogged injector/fuel filter) and ignition system.
Personally, I'd check the ignition initially. Make sure all your spark plug/coil leads are secure. It's also possible that the leads are due for replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RPM decreases too, almost like its about to die, but then it comes alive again all in a second...I was thinking a lock-up would cause a jump in RPM when I got the delay? I really just don't know...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Now we have a different situation. RPM decrease is suddenly is usually due to the alternator playing up. It is possible that at high speed it is not charging sufficiently. You can test this a couple of ways. You could run the car then turn on your lights. If the stumble gets suddenly worse, it's the alternator. You could also test it for voltage. If it's working properly you should get a reading around 13.8 to 14-volts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disco,

I did look under the frame at the fuel filter, I was trying to find a way to replace it (looks like previous owner tried, but then gave up) meaning the nuts around it have been mangled and I was afraid of breaking the connection until I figured out a solution. I see a fuel filter repair kit from DAP. I figure that is to replace the hose and nut assembly (one place to start). I had a MG long ago and the filter was dirty and when it got hot it would start to stall (high fuel demand).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like the speed sensor, located at the rear output of the transfer case, sypmtom would include the speedometer dropping while the engine is not running and resuming normal reading when the engine cuts back in.

- Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I'm dumbing it down, but there has been occasional jumps in the speedometer, would that also affect the running? just never got the 2 symps at the same time. The only thing that has ever caused was the cruise control cutting off. Are we talking the speedometer transducer or the other (name slips me)...Cleaned the Carbon (going to do it again, heavy as routine maint)

Thanks,
B.

·
Registered
321 Posts
a person here had the same problem, (hey eric) he found that the problem was with the VSS. his suggestion was to unplug the vss and take it for a boot. though you'll not have any speedo so follow the speed of traffic. also if you look at your odometer, you'll notice it doesn't move while you have it unplugged (hint hint to leasesse). the vss is located just behind the transfer case and the parking brake.. or was it after the parking brake. either way crawl under and you should see it
take care
sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen another reference to the sensor, VSS is that teh same as teh transducer that send the signal to the speedometer? Also, If I unplug it what should the result be? Normal operation?

I have lost the signal to the speedometer before but I didn't get the momentary loss of power...

Thanks for all the input keep it coming...all of these are easy checks so I can do them all...

B

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've got to check the alternator this weekend when I'm back to my equipment. But I've got your specs and will give it a try. Its a four hour trip so I should be able to get it good and hot befor taking a reading so if its going to act up it should be showing it by then...

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stall

Pilot58D said:
Hello,

Have a 97' Disco. When I'm at cruise speed (70's on interstate). I sometimes get a momentary stall for a brief second. This may only occur once during a 4 hour trip (which I do often) today it seemed more pronounced and would stall, run, stall, run, stall, run (almost bucking) but went away. It doesn't occur at low speed and isn't associated with any kind of acceleration or power demand.

Any help to get me looking would be great,
B.
Yep I have a 93 and it does the same thing, the engine check light comes on as well but it's no more that 2 or 3 seconds then it just kicks back up as if nothing happens. It has only dont his 4 or 5 times since I brought it but the whole car shuts down it's pretty scarey, I changed my leads but this didn't fix it. If you go further and work it out can you tell me what it was please, it must be electrical but it sounds like yours is a bit more on the dangerous end take care.

Regards

Trendy :dunno:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pilot58D:
Try cleaning/replacing your fuel filter, if not, your fuel pump may be starting to give-up.I once had a VW scirocco that when the fuel pump started giving-up, it stalled, sputtered, and when back to normal,all these at cruising speed, untill one day it died and didn't wanted to start untill you let it stand it for a couple hours until the car got cold again.It ended up being that.
Carlos

·
Registered
33 Posts
My story take from it what you like.

Trendy and Pilot58D
Here’s my story take from it what you like.
I had/Have/ Used to have/ Maybe I still have it, The same sort of problem
I.E.
That Engine shutting down stalling feeling at speed etc etc. And when not at speed it would just stop.
I posted the problem and got nowhere. My LR Mechanic couldn’t track it down coz whenever he had the truck it wouldn’t show the symptoms.
So I changed to Fuel Pump old one was noisy anyway
The Fuel filter with the new repair kit
Injector Relay
Fuel pump Relay
The Ignition Amp
Cap and Rotor
Plugs, Leads were new.
A LR Mechanic in England told me, it sounds like I had a bad Engine ECU. “Apparently” this is not an uncommon issue. The Ecu stops sending a signal to the injections to fire or some of the injectors. So I changed that too. ( there is a big market in England for the repair of Land Rover ECU,s. That in itself should say sometime )
And the problem was gone for about 6 months. I was on the highway when it did it next. The engine started to run rough and I started to lose power by the second then a mile or 2 up the road bang it came back to life.
Thinking this was a valve issue I Seafoamed the crap out of it. A can every fill out for about 2 weeks I even did a dose of Lucas Injector cleaner.
So far so good.
However saying anything nice about loved Red Rover will causes it to breakdown on me. As it always does

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.