Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some mild off-roading in my D2 over the weekend and decided to try out the hill descent control. While in low range, with the gearbox in drive, I pressed the button, and the green light in the cluster flashed rapidly and it started beeping at me. Reading in the owner's manual, it says that this is what happens when you try to engage HDC in high range - it is designed to work only in low range. However, I was in low range and it didn't engage like the manual said it should. I tried going into high range on the transfer box, then back to low, but it still beeped and flashed at me. I tried it in all gear positions on the gearbox (N, 1, 2 ,3, etc.), and it still would not engage. It doesn't really bother me, as I typically don't use techy helpers like that, but I have read that it works well, and if I have it, I might as well use it (or at least try it).
The strange thing is that I do not get the amber hill decent control error light, and there are no codes in the computer - I checked with an ABS-compatible scan tool to be sure. It just doesn't work, almost as if the computer still thinks it is in high range. However, it does tell me when the transfer case is in neutral (beeps and x-ed out gear symbol on the dash), but maybe this is a different switch?

Separate problem that could be related:
When in Sport/Manual mode and shifting from high to low, it takes a while for the light to go from S (high range) to M (low range), and one time, it did not go from M back to S when shifting back to high range after some off-roading, resulting in harsh shifts from the transmission and no torque converter locking, even when I shut the "M" light off with the mode switch. It did revert back to normal after a key cycle. Not sure if this is related, but I thought I might as well put it in because in this case as well it does not seem as though the transfer case knows whether or not it is in high or low.

I should also add that I tried using hill descent control after the "M" light had illuminated in place of an "S" and it still didn't work.

My thought would be a bad transfer case switch that tells the computer what range it is in, but I have never heard of this problem (or even the existence of a switch like this - I can't see anything like that when I crawl under the truck to look) in any forum threads.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like it could be a switch problem, the system does not think you are in Low range that would also explain the M/S issue. You will have to do search to see where it is located as I have not had to mess with mine yet. It looks like it is on top of the transfer case.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
+1 you have to rule out the hi-low switch first cos it seems it doesnt work so the ECUs dont know it's in low, the TB neutral switch is separate... if you have proper tester you should be able to force on the HDC warning for test to see if it works or not cos there are tools which can disable it as well

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely take a look at the switch - it seems to be at the root of my problems. How would I go about testing it? I don't want to spend the money to throw a new one in there and hope it fixes it without knowing it is the problem first.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I'll definitely take a look at the switch - it seems to be at the root of my problems. How would I go about testing it? I don't want to spend the money to throw a new one in there and hope it fixes it without knowing it is the problem first.
It's simple, unplug it and bridge the pins in the connector with a piece of wire then try HDC...if it works that way then most probably the switch is fubar. That switch simply closes to earth when low is elected and if it doesnt the ECUs dont know.
Hi-low switch effect.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's simple, unplug it and bridge the pins in the connector with a piece of wire then try HDC...if it works that way then most probably the switch is fubar. That switch simply closes to earth when low is elected and if it doesnt the ECUs dont know. View attachment 92073

Oh okay, that makes sense - thanks. I'll test it out and report back with the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts